40%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Need some guidance here.
What do you tell a friend who insists on diving solo to 130' at 40% nitrox?

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.

You ask him nicely to help you prepare his funeral.

40% nitrox at 130 fsw is a 2.0 atm PO2 level. Even at exceptional exposure levels the time limit is extremely short, about 10 minutes.

If history in nitrox diving has shown us anything it is that oxygen tollerance is variable from person to person. Can one tollerate high levels of oxygen ? Sure they can. The variable is for how long. We use high levels of oxygen in hyperbaric chambers for 30 minutes at a time at 2.8 atm PO2 but then that is in a warm, dry, non CO2 producing (for the most part) environment. If there is a siezure it wont hurt the person in the dry chamber. However in the water your friend will inspire water and drown.

If you can't explain the seriousness of this to your friend have him give me a call. I have a good idea I can set him on the right path.

Regards,

Have you made out a will yet? :wink:

Seriously i agree with Joel, talk about PPO2, exposure limits, oxtox, not to mention redundancy, training in use of equipment at shallower depths. If they still want to do it, mention full face mask (to stop that convulsing = water intake problem) and of course the risks they face still from that kind of activity - i am sure others go solo to 130ft, but they are prepared and have worked up to it, it this the first such dive (solo and/or deep) they have thought about? I assume they have nitrox training, why wouldnt they know of oxtox etc as mentioned above and its risks?

I'd tell him to retake the enriched air class.

What a ride it might be though.....anyway, the risks of them going that deep on that blend is not wise. Sure they are right in the head???? Sounds suicidal to me.

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.

Why is your friend doing it? Do they think they're on the cutting edge by pushing their body to its limits? If that's it, you might try to explain that there's a difference between what they're doing and what, say, an olympic athelete is doing in pushing their body. What they're doing is closer to just playing russian roulette, which really isn't cutting edge. Its been done before, people have died. I know there was one case of a guy who pushed high ppO2s in _The Last Dive_ and wound up dead -- maybe pointing them towards that book would help.

Past that, if they've got a decent car, stereo or some nice dive gear you might ask if you can have them after they're dead...

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.

No need to be diplomatic. This is stupid. Full stop.

What do you think could motivate him to stop with this?

R..

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.
This is called diving a hot mix. tell him that sinse he has taken the nitrox class , and past it . first there is no excuse and second ask him to think about family and freinds. they are the ones who will be hurt.I.E think about your children( if he has any)

Back
Top Bottom