40%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.
What do you tell a friend who insists on diving solo to 130' at 40% nitrox?

Tell them they are making an extraordinarily dangerous decision if they in fact know proper EAN procedures. Remind him the first symptom of CNS Toxicity may be "lights out". If he still still insists perhaps contact a more senior diver he respects and ask for some help with the message. He will probably be p*ssed but who cares under the circumstances.

--Matt

I think the unanimous response here is that this dive plan will get him killed and if he is diving solo there probably wont even be a body recovered.

So, I would tell him as strongly as possible that he likely would not survive it.

A side note:

Did anyone notice that down4fun (Female) said "a friend" and almost everyone just assumes that this is a man, as if no woman would be that stupid. Even though most female divers I know dive frequently with other female divers or family and I'm confident that "a friend" isn't family.

I guess that it is widely recognized that almost all dumb life endangering ideas come from men. Women hardly ever win Darwin Awards.

TT

TwoTanks:
I think the unanimous response here is that this dive plan will get him killed and if he is diving solo there probably wont even be a body recovered.

So, I would tell him as strongly as possible that he likely would not survive it.

A side note:

Did anyone notice that down4fun (Female) said "a friend" and almost everyone just assumes that this is a man, as if no woman would be that stupid. Even though most female divers I know dive frequently with other female divers or family and I'm confident that "a friend" isn't family.

I guess that it is widely recognized that almost all dumb life endangering ideas come from men. Women hardly ever win Darwin Awards.

TT

Ah, have you read the DAN report this year. I could have misread the thing but, it looks like there was more female fatalities

TwoTanks:

Almost everyone :wink:

However when i guy says it, it usually means its something he is cooking up himself, knowing Kim i would say its not her talking about herself.

simbrooks:
Almost everyone :wink:

However when i guy says it, it usually means its something he is cooking up himself, knowing Kim i would say its not her talking about herself.

Would that be extra crispy or original recipe?

Thanks to all of you who replied, and explained things better than I ever could have. You made some good points. As far as why he wants to do this i can only guess. It would seem he is trying to hurt himself and me in the process. I know that he did read this thread and after more discussion gave me his word that he wouldn't do this dive. So I owe all of you a big thank you!

down4fun:
Thanks to all of you who replied, and explained things better than I ever could have. You made some good points. As far as why he wants to do this i can only guess. It would seem he is trying to hurt himself and me in the process. I know that he did read this thread and after more discussion gave me his word that he wouldn't do this dive. So I owe all of you a big thank you!

It sounds like he probably has a lot of other issues, have him see a professional asap. I would guess that he is involved in a lot of other non-diving risky behavior.

I'm glad he is not going to do the dive, but either he:

1.) has some mental issues (which should be worked out before he goes back in the water)..

2.) Is too cheap to pay for a new fill (in which he needs to find a cheaper sport)

3.) Needs to read "The Origin of Species."

Glad he saw sense, just try to talk to him about risk taking, some are acceptable, calculated risks, some are just foolish and almost certain to end in disaster - just like this scenario. Is this guy on the board or just a casual reader? There is plenty more useful info on SB that might help him develop as a diver, at least not take big risks (due to reports of where those went wrong and what people do or recommend). Speak to him regarding why he would want to jeopardize his life in this way, pro help may be called for, but i think friends should be the first port of call to establish if there are issues to be addressed.

Could an individual do this on a bounce dive. Hit 130fsw and then return to say 30fsw?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom