40m without deep specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies, and hatecheese no harm done :)

I do have AOW of course to get DM, my question came about from missinturpriting the rules. At the op I've been working for we don't take AOW below 30m and teach deep specialty at 40m (selling the specialty I think!). It started toungue in cheek as I thought even though I assist on 40m dives an op wouldn't allow me on the boat without the card if I wasn't working!

Cheers all
Dave

its really an insurance issue as much as anything you know. You are protected as a professional by padi only as long as you work within the limits of the system. THat means If a problem occurs and you in your capacity as a pro are outside your technical framework its your ass on the line. If anything happens to you - well thats also formally diving outside the limits of your education. I guess different
countries may offer different insurance terms but most would probably try to dodge your claims on that basis. In Egypt, if an operation takes people below 30 metres the entire operation may be shut down from one day to the next. This is not to say it doesnt happen but the owners are aware of that risk and the competition fierce enough that operations will try to backstab each other if mistakes can be proven.

PADI AOW certifies to 130 Ft (40 meters). Recommended 100 ft, Max 130 Ft is the wording if I remember correctly. The 2 required dives (out of 5) for AOW are deep and navigation. You have to have AOW for DM. I'm confused... If you have AOW, you are certified to 40 Meters.

Nope,

PADI AOW Certifies to 30 meters/100 feet, you are required to do 1 Deep Dive (between 20 meters/60 feet and 30 meters/100 feet) which can be counted as the first of 4 required dives for Deep Diver Certification.

PADI Deep Diver Certifies to 30 meters/130 feet and requires 3 Deep Dives if taken after the AOW Certification...

FWIW, I'm currently Rescue Diver Certified and will be completing my Deep Diver Certification this weekend...

In the science community we take depth qualification a bit more seriously than in the sports community. Divers with 100 hours minimum of training and 12 minimum training dives are permitted to 30 feet but when diving with an approved buddy (mentor) who is qualified deeper, they may dive to 60 feet. After 12 such dives for a minimum bottom time of four hours, a checkout dive with the Diving Safety Officer and approval of the Diving Control Board they may be permitted to dive to 60 feet. A similar situation appertains for 100 feet, 130 feet, 150 feet and 190 feet.

In the science community we take depth qualification a bit more seriously than in the sports community. Divers with 100 hours minimum of training and 12 minimum training dives are permitted to 30 feet but when diving with an approved buddy (mentor) who is qualified deeper, they may dive to 60 feet. After 12 such dives for a minimum bottom time of four hours, a checkout dive with the Diving Safety Officer and approval of the Diving Control Board they may be permitted to dive to 60 feet. A similar situation appertains for 100 feet, 130 feet, 150 feet and 190 feet.

All that permitting would give me a headache ... but I betchya by the time they get to 100 feet they're pretty dang comfortable in the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually the system works rather smoothly since they have to turn in logs monthly and the DCB meets monthly. They're "pretty dang comfortable" coming out of class, to my mind the rationale for the depth steps has more to due with narcosis awareness than anything else; since we train and practice to dive air or EAN as mix is rarely available at the remote sites that science divers often work.

If you dive deeper than your training, your next of kin will have a hard time suing anyone. Other than that, nobody much cares how deep you dive, how long you stay, what mix you use or even if you come back up.

There was the newbie father/son team that hit 185 feet down in La Jolla - pretty deep for OW I. They ran out of air, of course, and the father didn't survive. Bad stuff happens on deep dives. But, in the end, only the family really cares. Everyone else just moves on.

There aren't any scuba police; do what you want.

Richard

Because you only need 20 dives to start (but 60 to get certified), first aid course done in the last 2 years and to be a rescue diver. To become a rescue diver you only have to be advanced ow which is composed of 5 adventures which are not even specialities... but they let you go deeper after that. So you may not know much about diving, you may not have enough experience but you can be a DM and lead other divers. But I guess you already knew that...

I see where even the DMs course has gotten watered down--still wet behind the ears(no pun entended) @ 60 dives......IMO that is......

Nope,

PADI AOW Certifies to 30 meters/100 feet, you are required to do 1 Deep Dive (between 20 meters/60 feet and 30 meters/100 feet) which can be counted as the first of 4 required dives for Deep Diver Certification.

PADI Deep Diver Certifies to 30 meters/130 feet and requires 3 Deep Dives if taken after the AOW Certification...

FWIW, I'm currently Rescue Diver Certified and will be completing my Deep Diver Certification this weekend...

Padi Deep Diver is 40m, a quick look at the specialty page on the website can confirm that for you.

The padi website for AOW says 'typically from the 18-30m range' and with that I'm sure the training dives have a 30m limit.. still kind of hazy. Maybe someone could clarify it from the instructor manual?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom