44lbs horseshoe bladder for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bunongbel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I wanted to confirm whether the Zeagle 44lbs horseshoe bladder (which came with my ET) is suitable for use with twin tanks when mounted on a Zeagle backplate ? It seems that there may be significant overlap of the tanks over the bladder and I was wondering whether I would still be able to realize the full 44lbs of lift. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the Zeagle wing and plate, but if you have significant overlap with a substantial amount of the bladder between the wing and plate, you won't get the full rated lift of the wing.

I am not sure which BCD is the ET but if the bladder is the 44lbs one that comes with the Ranger then yes it will work. The attachment to the backplate is a bit funky but works well enough for occasional doubles use. You should have no problems with 7.25" diameter cylinders and having plenty of lift.

If you are mounting the 44# wing on a Zeagle SS or Al plate there are two sets of mounting holes for the Zeagle bladders. The inner set is for singles tanks and the outer set are for a doubles set. The wing is attached to the plate with the same SS brackets on the wing that attach the the wing to the ET or other Zeagle BC's.

I just mounted a 34# wing on a SS Zeagle plate setup for singles. It takes 8 SS flathead machine screws (3/16 X 5/8" I believe) and 8 SS nylok nuts. The attaching bolts and nuts are available as a kit from Zeagle for about $10 bucks plus shipping thru a dealer. Scott may be able to help you with that.

DA Aquamaster

Thanks. That was exactly my concern but was wondering whether anyone had "first hand" experience.

Scared Silly

ET is the Express Tech. The bladder is a 44 lb which is bungee'd. I have not personally seen a Ranger 44# bladder but based on photos that I have seen on the internet I am guessing that the Ranger bladder is not bungee'd and what I have, has smaller spacing inside the "U". Am now wondering whether I could remove the bungee so that the bladder actually becomes wider and has more room to expand ??

Claymore

I was not aware of the outer set of screw holes. Now that I look at it, it is starting to make sense.

Thanks to all for your help and comments.

Last edited:
The single bag type of bladder (which is standard on the Stiletto, Express Tech, etc) is not considered a dual tank capable bladder, due to the fact that it is narrow.

The double bag bladders (as found on the Ranger, Tech 10, etc) are wider to allow for use with double tanks.

If you look at our metal backplates, there are two sets of holes for mounting a Zeagle bladder - the outer holes are to accommodate the wider bladders, and the inner holes are to mount the single tank style.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion...

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom