4Days - 8dive - 50mt ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxITA

Registered
Reaction score
Dear divers,
I'm organizing a "dive week", with the object
to make underwater photos and videos
with these characteristics :

- Wreck Dive 200mt long
- Open Sea
- 4 Days dives / 2 dives for day
- Black Water
- 3/4°C centigrade degrees water temperature
- 35 miles distance from the coast
- Decompression Dive
- Depht 50mt
- Time 25 min
- The boat cannot be anchoring

We are not sure to use Ean24 or TMX 24/20.
And if we use one deco stage Ean 50 or two deco
stage Ean and O2.

We have a lot of equipments, 2 camera, measure instruments,
video etc....

What you can advise to me about the gas ?
May be that the second dive we'ill go to 45mt.

Thanks
MAX

I won't answer the gas question right now as I'm not home and dont have access to my dive software/tables etc...

As for not anchoring the boat, it is really not a big deal if you are working with reasonably experienced divers.

Just take a large float (we use an orange float ball about 0.7m/2feet across) and attach it to a rope (approx 25-50% longer than the depth of the wreck) with a few feet of chain and a carabiener(sp?) on the end.

The lead dive team takes the chain end of the rope and ties it off to the wreck at the start of the first dive.

The rest of the divers can use that line to descend.

All deco can also be done on the line to the float and the boat simply stays near and swings in to pick up divers as the buddy teams surface. I would want an experienced crew/captain on the boat for this as it can get a bit tricky if there are strong currents or winds and you don't want any chance of props turning at the wrong time.

The last team to leave the wreck has the job of unhooking the line. The divers doing deco at that time CANNOT be using the line to control their bouyancy, otherwize it can easily be too tight to unhook (we had to cut the line once due to this and got the chain back the next days diving).

After unhook, the entire float line of decoing divers will drift with the current and still be picked up as normal by the boat as they surface.

After the last divers are aboard, pull in the ball/line and head for shore.

If you have a problem staying on the line or have to head for the surface before you can get back to the line, simply deploy a bag and do a drift deco on that. You should always be sure there are enough crew/non-divers aboard to be able to keep track of any SMBs that surface as well as the main float ball.

maxITA:
Dear divers,
I'm organizing a "dive week", with the object
to make underwater photos and videos
with these characteristics :

- Wreck Dive 200mt long
- Open Sea
- 4 Days dives / 2 dives for day
- Black Water
- 3/4°C centigrade degrees water temperature
- 35 miles distance from the coast
- Decompression Dive
- Depht 50mt
- Time 25 min
- The boat cannot be anchoring

We are not sure to use Ean24 or TMX 24/20.
And if we use one deco stage Ean 50 or two deco
stage Ean and O2.

We have a lot of equipments, 2 camera, measure instruments,
video etc....

What you can advise to me about the gas ?
May be that the second dive we'ill go to 45mt.

Thanks
MAX

I can't answer the gas question with any authority but 24% is just as good as using air. If you wouldn't make those dives on air then you should be using trimix.

As for the boat, you'll need a to build a trapeze on an anchored buoy then.

R..

Trapeze?

I dunno, I've never used one. All the deco I've done was either on a line or on an SMB... With a large group I suppose it would be helpfull to spread out the divers on the last stop (we just use our reels as john-lines if it gets too crowded on a line - keep it simple).

You could attach one end of the trapeze bar to the rig I posted above and add a second ball to support the 'down-current' end of the bar if you really want one I guess.

-------------------

OK, here goes.

If *I* were doing this, I'd prefer the 24/20 mix and 2 deco bottles. Even better would be 24/30 mix putting the end at about 32msw(approx 100fsw).

If this was a one day expedition or I was only doing 1 dive per day, I might be OK with the longer dive using only 50/50 as a deco gas if O2 availability was an issue. I'd want the He either way if possible. You want to be as clear headed as you can if you are going to be taking measurments and pictures (task loading) at depth.

Narcosis will make it harder to do this accurately and may reduce the amount of work you actualy get done each dive because you will be moving slower and you may have to repeat things you don't get right the first time... The cold wont help any with this either.

Because you are planning to do this in a repetitive, multi-day format, the extra gasses would (I think) be beneficial.

1: The shorter run-times means extra time not spent in the water that can be added to the planned SI for an additional safety buffer. You can add the combined time savings (I get almost 1/2 hour in v-planner) from both dives to the SI without making the days total run-time any longer.

EG:
|....dive1....|..............SI..............|....dive2....|
|..dive1..|..................SI..................|..dive2..|

2: A shorter run-time becomes even more important the colder the water is as well because you are spending less time just hanging there getting colder and colder while you decompress... You will end each day less fatigued due to having to burn less energy keeping warm underwater. This leads to being in better shape for the next days dives. :wink:

3: Since you will be doing decompression diving a ways offshore, having the extra 100% O2 on board would be a good thing in the event of any emergencies.

As to not wanting to carry the extra deco bottle. If they hang on your rig properly, they really are not in the way very much. If you are not comfortable diving with 2 sling bottles while doing other tasks as well, then get in the water and practice, practice, practice...

I'd plan to use 2 AL40s (50/50 & 100) on the dives you defined and they would(should) have more than enough gas for both dives based on my SAC rate (your mileage may vary). So, for a given day of 2 dives on your proposed trip, I'd require 2 sets of doubles and 2 sling bottles total. Well, throw in an argon bottle for the drysuit too. :wink:

If the first dive DID use up too much gas from the stages for some reason, I'd be reconsidering doing the second dive that day anyway untill the issue that caused it is fully resolved.

You might consider bringing extra stages & regs along (if available) in case of a reg or valve malfunction causing gas loss from a stage. Then you would not need to abort a second dive due to some simple to repair equipment malfunction or freeflow from the first dive.

Hi.

If it is the Wilhelm Gustloff you are thinking of it doesn´t lie in 50m, it´s in about 45-46 to the bottom but you rarly go below 42-43. Makes a differens in deco time. And if you are going ther spring or summer time the surface water is much warmer so it isn´t really a problem if you build up a large deco.

Hope you have some nice dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom