5-finger gloves: not recommended for winter diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I DO dive all year round in our wonderful Oslofjord... 28F for 45mins... Sure... )
Uh-huh? In 5 finger wet gloves? I guess you're also into BDS.. uh, scratch that. :duck: :tmi2:

:wink:

Wow, I really disagree -- I'd MUCH rather have on a wet dry glove than a wet glove. No matter how big the leak in the dry glove is, you don't get the same amount of water circulation that you do in wet gloves. And I'd say probably a good 90% of my dives in dry gloves, my hands stay dry.

I can really identify with you on this one. Its the pain during thawing that's the worst.

not sure if this would work with a five finger glove, but up here many of us use the handwarmer packets in our rubber gloves for a little added warmth. I also place one down in the neprene sock. for me, it has made a difference in 36degree water with air temps in the single digit.

There are a few people out there that have gotten 2nd degree burns from using any breating gas greater than 21% and hand/foot warmers because of the reaction to the increase in oxygen.

I dive year round, in the winter in mid-thirties water - the burn is EXCRUCIATING afterwards, enough that I wonder if I'm doing long term damage to my hands; I have a (wet) set up that isn't too bad, except for the hands. I doubt fewer fingers would help since their isn't enough warmth in the fingers to make a difference - I have a pair of dry gloves on order; should be here in time for my next dive.

Wow, I really disagree -- I'd MUCH rather have on a wet dry glove than a wet glove. No matter how big the leak in the dry glove is, you don't get the same amount of water circulation that you do in wet gloves. And I'd say probably a good 90% of my dives in dry gloves, my hands stay dry.

i'm sorry, a what?...is it wet or dry? :confused:

why doesn't anyone use the hand warmers in their gloves?

Cold hands are no fun for sure. I've done a few dives in a 33 degree lake here with 5mm wet gloves, and the only time I had issues was one dive I did with a lighter undergarment because of the air temp. You'd be amazed at what adding more thermal protection to your core does for hand comfort. When your core temp drops, your body pulls heat away from the extremities, so keeping the core warm is the best way to keep you hands and toes warm too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom