$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the idea, and while I may never need a hookah system for what I do, it is wonderful to see the inventive design followed up with due diligence.

I have been diving the Harbor Freight compressor with the pvc hose mentioned earlier with a $17 dollar China reg. for quite some time. It works really well. After spending 4 hours on it in a three day period I am now sick with a respiratory infection. I am not saying the hooka was the reason I got the infection but it did get me thinking enough to read this thread again. I started worry about what I might be breathing in as I also let my daughters, nephews, and friends try it out in the pool. I decided to upgrade to the quite Lowe’s compressor tbone originally posted about earlier in the thread. I am now also using Brownies air hose and a regulator I picked up second hand. The Kobalt compressor cost more but I feel better about letting friends and family give it a try in the pool with this new setup. It’s a diaphragm compressor where the HF is a piston as far as I can tell by their schematic. The new compressor is much quieter and doesn’t run 100% of the time like the HF model. Plus you can run a splitter and run two hookah’s as the OP shows.

I have been diving the Harbor Freight compressor with the pvc hose mentioned earlier with a $17 dollar China reg. for quite some time. It works really well. After spending 4 hours on it in a three day period I am now sick with a respiratory infection. I am not saying the hooka was the reason I got the infection but it did get me thinking enough to read this thread again. I started worry about what I might be breathing in as I also let my daughters, nephews, and friends try it out in the pool. I decided to upgrade to the quite Lowe’s compressor tbone originally posted about earlier in the thread. I am now also using Brownies air hose and a regulator I picked up second hand. The Kobalt compressor cost more but I feel better about letting friends and family give it a try in the pool with this new setup. It’s a diaphragm compressor where the HF is a piston as far as I can tell by their schematic. The new compressor is much quieter and doesn’t run 100% of the time like the HF model. Plus you can run a splitter and run two hookah’s as the OP shows.

fingers crossed you clear out quick!

Any good sources for hose? I'm torn between "legit" breathing hose... and some other options. What is your opinion?

Looking for a 100' and (2) 20'. The plan is to do the larger compressor, a 100' drop, a "T" and then two 20' to two regs.

Thoughts?

Question: Did you consider putting a filter on the outlet side...

I have been reading (a lot) about this as I make my own build.

Thoughts on this:
https://smile.amazon.com/ARO-F35121...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BK7V1JPWJDT37C1JGTDT

Pete

I use a very high end filter system on mine. It's about $500, but I got it for my Haskel. It spits out Grade D air which is considered breathable gas. Difference between D and E for reference is conversion of CO to CO2 which doesn't matter at Hookah depths/durations and on an oil-less/electric pump you shouldn't have any CO other than ambient anyway. Has a particulate filter, followed by a coalescing filter, followed by an adsorbing filter. Adsorber is obviously not necessary on an oil-less pump, and the one that you linked is certainly better than nothing.
350 SERIES Modular Clean Air Package 1/4, 3/8, 1/2

Had an interesting conversation with someone at a dive shop today...

Thoughts...

He suggested that two 100' drops from the compressor is far better than a single 100' drop with a "T" and two 20'. He said that it would be much easier to breath even at 30'-40'.

What would you prefer?

Had an interesting conversation with someone at a dive shop today...

Thoughts...

He suggested that two 100' drops from the compressor is far better than a single 100' drop with a "T" and two 20'. He said that it would be much easier to breath even at 30'-40'.

What would you prefer?

I mean, the two long hoses have a larger air volume inside of them, but if the single drop is big enough it shouldn't matter. The bigger issue with independent lines is the extra drag in the water and risk of getting tangled. Righteous PITA.

In this thread I outlined what Brownie's uses for theirs. 5/16" with 3/8" fittings. I would not go any smaller than that.
$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom