50% or 80% O2 for first aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The highest concentration available.

I once worked on a charter boat. A diver surfaced with a headache and wanted O2 so after she emtied the e cylinder of O2 all I had left was some 50%. I offered her that but she declined because she wasn't nitrox ceritified.

:rofl3:

...In the Paramedic world we call people like that Oxygen Thieves or TSTL's (too stupid to live)
There is a big difference between stupid and ignorant. So much for taking advantage of a "teachable moment", huh?

Last year, after a 200ft cave dive followed by several other dives, I discovered that my O2 bottle had been filled with 60% O2 and 5% Helium. There were no ill effect even though the dive was planned with 100% for deco.

Do you not as a pre-dive process persl. check your gas mixes to verify their content?? :shocked2:

To the OP: of your picks the 80EAN is a good move.

though i guess that assumes the person isn't unconscious, since isn't the valve on an o2 bottle different for the face mask? so the person would have to be with-it enough to breathe through a reg, right? i know my baby's o2 bottles had different valves, so that's what i'm basing on.

though i bet that lady could change out the valve and not lose the contents in the bottle...what a dork.

Better than nothing? Yes, assuming that the patient is able to breathe off a scuba regulator unassisted. Rates vary according to manufacturer but very roughly, 50% O2 would correspond to a simple mask or top Venturi mask running about 10 lpm and 13 lpm respectively. 80% O2 would roughly correspond to a non-rebreather mask running about 10+ lpm.

I would hope that there's been oxygen therapy training; e.g. understanding the difference between ventilation and oxygenation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom