$500 Compressor Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

joebob24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many people would be interested in a $500 kit that you could assemble with basic tools that would produce a compressor capable of something like 3-4 SCFM at 3500 PSI? Motor, filtration and mounting not included. Just trying to gauge interest at this point.

For me, the answer is almost zero in terms of actual money. I have several motors laying around that would work, I already have a filter system and I have access to a full weld shop and machine shop.

I don't know how many other people like me there are in the world though, which is what I was curious about. If you didn't see the post and almost immediately know what you would need to finish out the system, it probably wouldn't be your thing, but here is a stab at it:

Harbor freight has a 3hp motor for $190.

Filtration for breathing air is a giant can of worms that I don't want to open. It is the most important part and everyone seems to have their own idea of what is required. I am going to throw $500 out there based on what it would cost for a replacement housing and parts for some of the commercially available small compressors. You could spend way more than this though.

I am going to assume it and the motor are just screwed to a 2x6 with some #8 sheetrock screws and not include any cost for mounting or piping or fittings. If you can't figure out a way to mount it and get the air from one place to another, again not for you.

Total cost: $1190

I am planning on building a prototype that I will machine all of the parts for. I was originally planning on just releasing the prints as just an open source kind of thing, but then I realized that the part cost would be really high if you just ordered one set of parts at a time. I would probably have to make at least 10-15 to make it cost effective for someone ordering the parts through a machine shop.

A. Yes. Several of the smaller commercially available compressors do not have interstage water removal.
B. No. The recommended maintenance sheets for compressors I looked at had the first major service around 500 hours. (stuff before that were just checks and oil) I am saying you might have to do things like valves after 100 hours.
C. I haven't quoted any parts yet, but yes that would be the idea.
What smaller commercial compressor doesn't have interstage moisture separation?
It would be incredibly rare to get 500 hours out of valves in the real world. Especially on something that runs intermittent duty.

snip

Total cost: $1190
That sounds insanely cheap.
Would this be an already existing piece of kit that you would put your own brand on or would it be a design you've made and manufactured completely on your own?
If it is the latter, what measures would you take to make sure it lives up to the high standards needed for this type of application, and how would it hold up quality wise compared to other already existing brands with proven quality such as Bauer and the likes?
Or do you plan on putting that responsibility on the customer as they're the ones picking out the filter setup for it?
Kind of want to ask some questions about potential law suits in the potential case of issues but I honestly don't know anything about the laws in the US.

Love your innovative thinking and me (and probably a bunch of others) would love cheaper options for compressors, but when it comes to the safety of my breathing gas I prefer to go with a known and proven concept.

a $500 kit that you could assemble with basic tools that would produce a compressor capable of something like 3-4 SCFM at 3500 PSI

Oh, yea, I heard about this. The giant compressor companies tried to pay the inventor a lot of money to keep the idea off the market because it would kill all their business. It uses an incredibly powerful but tiny magnet on the fill whip to remove all the impurities by reorganizing the harmful ions into harmless oxygen. And the motor has a 100mpg carburetor.

It costs $500 for a "kit that will produce a compressor "and is going to turn the hobby upside down. I hope big brother isn’t listening, otherwise the inventor might disappear.

🤦‍♂️

3500 psi would be lower than what would be ideal for me, but would work. Interested to see what comes of this.

DW

How many people would be interested in a $500 kit that you could assemble with basic tools that would produce a compressor capable of something like 3-4 SCFM at 3500 PSI? Motor, filtration and mounting not included. Just trying to gauge interest at this point.
I think the question would be who wouldn't be interested in a $500 compressor head that can pump safe air at 3 to 4 cfm to 3500. Although the filtration issue is a huge added cost. I'm currently looking into filtration housings and such and they are very expensive especially for a home build, probably twice the projected cost of your compressor for a filter setup with good usable life.

If you could do it 'dry' and make a Rix alternative that would be super interesting!!

American Airworks makes a filter I added to my Rix for $425 (to make it dry). Included the housing and filter. I'm not sure what a set of coalescers would cost.

I love my Rix, but I really doubt anyone would be able to build one for $500. Maybe if you sold just the parts as a kit and idiot proof instructions how to put it together? But even then you're looking at at least $1500? The parts will be expensive, but the labor to put it together even more so (in the US anyway).

Good point about the wages, all too often the labor spent trying to save money is worth far more than the savings and comes with no warranty.

Oh, yea, I heard about this. The giant compressor companies tried to pay the inventor a lot of money to keep the idea off the market because it would kill all their business. It uses an incredibly powerful but tiny magnet on the fill whip to remove all the impurities by reorganizing the harmful ions into harmless oxygen. And the motor has a 100mpg carburetor.

It costs $500 for a "kit that will produce a compressor "and is going to turn the hobby upside down. I hope big brother isn’t listening, otherwise the inventor might disappear.

🤦‍♂️
The one we saw was electric and used a laptop USB port for recharging.
But the laptop was old and the decimal point didn't work on the keyboard Can't remember much but
I think it was $5000 for 0.4 SCFM where the decimal point goes is anyones guess.

If you could do it 'dry' and make a Rix alternative that would be super interesting!!
Let me get this right. You want an oil free oil less Rix all for $500?
So a swash plate bearing being a large diameter rotating sealed bearing where the inner race is fixed to a rotating shaft at a prescribed angle offset to develop piston stroke length while the angle of approach rotates with it.
In addition while the outer race bearing is fixed from rotating by two ground thrust riders and two additional rider bearings being set between a thrust rider plate to ensure an axial direction of rotation while at every point on the bearing periphery the number of interstage stage pistons (3) being attached to the outer bearing ring each using an attached rod end bearings per piston for each stage
Not withstanding the drive shaft to ensure balance Two additional sealed bearings are used at both ends with two roller bearings.
That's a bearing count of eight, more than days in the week and your $500 is all spent.

Mind you look on the brights side for your $500 you could always get a 200Ft lb torque wrench
and some sockets. Well at least its a start.

Next LOL Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom