500 Dollar Budget for the week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey

So I'm hoping to drop by Bonaire this summer. Normally my friend and I, specially with a kitchenette would be able to survive on one restaurant meal a day and then keep food at home. However, we may be traveling with a bunch of people who may not be receptive to this and I was wondering;

For a 7 day trip (Saturday to Saturday), is a $500/- budget enough (for food and drinks)? Assume minimal drinks (maybe 1 or max 2 a night, if any). I'm also assuming minimal cooking (though lunch leftovers a day or 2 here and there is possible). I dont care to have high end food but just something decent (think US equivalent of eating a combination of decent fast food and Arbys/Olive Garden type food).

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem. Are you staying someplace that includes breakfast?

The hard part with a group might be check-splitting and people on a budget - ordering a burger and a beer - end up subsidizing the steak and three glasses of wine their friends have.

My buddy and I usually do breakfast at our hotel, lunch of PB&J or cold cuts, and then over-spend on dinner. I don't think we spent much more than $500/each for the week. If we did it was only because we had several pricey dinners w/good wine. Could certainly have spent less easily.

We will either stay at Buddy Dive (which I believe has breakfast) or Coral Paradise. In the situation where we end up being more than 4 people, I'm contemplating just Airbnbing it.

In the past, I've avoided the split check issues by simply pairing up on meals. My friend and I have a good method now where we pay for the meals and eventually it all just ends up equaling out.

That's easy if you're not into the fancier restaurants and don't mind leftovers. Think pizza, Chinese food, Babejans and paztechi. (Sorry about the spelling.)

My wife and I have taken groups to Buddy Dive for at least 13 years. They have a great continental breakfast that is included in the price of the room. There is a new grocery store close to the airport that we will buy lunch items as well as some drinks. We eat out for dinner every night with a couple of drinks and we never spend over $350 - $425 for the two of us. Happy diving!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you're staying at Buddy I expect you might eat some meals there at Ingridients. They list prices on their menu.
Our menu at Ingridients Restaurant

Breakfast is bundled in their dive package also.

Prices at Rumrunners next door at Habitat. Rum Runners BonaireRum Runners Bonaire

For lunch there's KFC, Subway, Wattaburger. Food in the markets is also pretty high - most of it comes from Curacao. Anything you could want to prepare meals is at Warehouse Foods or Van den Tweel - slightly east of the Divi in town.

Bobbe-Jans BBQ is reasonable but only open Fri-Sun.
I'm fairly sure Zee Zicht wasn't too expensive or Donna/Giorgio's. Don't quote me on either.

Places that will seriously dent your budget: Sebastians, At Sea, It Rains Fishes, Wils Tropical Grill, La Balandra. Appetite looks pricey also.

Last edited:
We will either stay at Buddy Dive (which I believe has breakfast) or Coral Paradise. In the situation where we end up being more than 4 people, I'm contemplating just Airbnbing it.

Give Caribbean Club Bonaire some consideration. My buddy and I stayed there in December and loved it. Less expensive than Buddy or even Coral Paradise. We paid $671/pp double occupancy for a 1 bedroom apartment, unlimited shore diving, free nitrox, truk rental, and breakfast. I think the quad occupancy was even cheaper.

Downside is that it's "north of town" which means you're driving ANYWHERE rather than walking, including boat dives (which are done through Buddy Dive, their sister resort, where you can also grab/drop tanks) But it's only 5-10min north of Buddy Dive, and upside is that it's closer to the Northern sites.

Also, their restaurant isn't much to write home about. But there are plenty of others on the island.

Give Caribbean Club Bonaire some consideration. My buddy and I stayed there in December and loved it. Less expensive than Buddy or even Coral Paradise. We paid $671/pp double occupancy for a 1 bedroom apartment, unlimited shore diving, free nitrox, truk rental, and breakfast. I think the quad occupancy was even cheaper.

Downside is that it's "north of town" which means you're driving ANYWHERE rather than walking, including boat dives (which are done through Buddy Dive, their sister resort, where you can also grab/drop tanks) But it's only 5-10min north of Buddy Dive, and upside is that it's closer to the Northern sites.

Also, their restaurant isn't much to write home about. But there are plenty of others on the island.

Thanks for the info.

I looked them up and it says they are 900 for double occupancy for the 1 bedroom (June 2015). They did have studios available which could be a consideration.

Is there any place to dive at that location that is in walking distance? The first day or 2, i want to be close to a shore.

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom