5050/D180 "My Mode" Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The magnet thingy...
Most digital cameras sends out a pre-flash when used in any mode other than manual. The magnet thingy is not needed when using any of these modes that produce a pre-flash. If you decide to shoot in the manual mode your camera probably does not send out a pre flash so your strobe needs to know not to look for one. Removing the magnet thingy does this.
Basically if your camera is sending out a pre-flash, no magnet thingy required. If your camera is sending out no pre-flash, magnet thingy required.

bubble blower:
The magnet thingy...
Most digital cameras sends out a pre-flash when used in any mode other than manual. The magnet thingy is not needed when using any of these modes that produce a pre-flash. If you decide to shoot in the manual mode your camera probably does not send out a pre flash so your strobe needs to know not to look for one. Removing the magnet thingy does this.
Basically if your camera is sending out a pre-flash, no magnet thingy required. If your camera is sending out no pre-flash, magnet thingy required.

If you decide to shoot in the manual mode your camera probably does not send out a pre flash so your strobe needs to know not to look for one. Removing the magnet thingy does this.
This depends from camera to camera. The Olympus Cx0x0 series all use a pre-flash even in Manual (M) shooting mode because the flash is still in TTL mode. With the C5050 and up there is a flash setting called 'Slave' flash. When you select this setting then the camera's flash no longer works in TTL and hence doesn't need to fire a pre-flash.

To sum it up:
If (on the camera) the flash mode you choose to trigger the D-180 with fires a pre-flash then don't install the magnet. This turns the 'Advanced Cancel Circuitary' ON. The D-180 will then expect a pre-flash and fire a pre-flash of its own in sync with your camera's flash.
If the flash mode doesn't fire a pre-flash then install the magnet to turn the 'Advanced Cancel Circuitary' OFF. The D-180 will not expect a pre-flash.

See this post in the Tips and Techniques section:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=591831&postcount=2

bubble blower:
Exactly, that's why I said
I'm trying to clarify in my post that pre-flash is not always linked to your shooting mode. So it's not exactly what you said...

All is fine. I was trying to insinuate the same thing...that's why I used words like "most" instead of "all", or "probably" instead of "definitely".
I must say I keep forgetting that I rome into the "Oly" forum from time to time and I don't shoot an Oly...I shoot a canon. No harm intended by my post.

bubble blower:
All is fine. I was trying to insinuate the same thing...that's why I used words like "most" instead of "all", or "probably" instead of "definitely".
I must say I keep forgetting that I rome into the "Oly" forum from time to time and I don't shoot an Oly...I shoot a canon. No harm intended by my post.
None taken and none intended either :wink: . I guessed from your post that you are a Canon user and therefore understood exactly what you meant - just trying to make it clear for the benefit of BadFish and others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom