5050/D180 "My Mode" Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry...I don't use My Modes. For almost the same number of button pushes, I can change my exposure settings to go with the present conditions. Whatever you set in My modes will get you in the ballpark but the conditions may require you to change things anyway.

One of the biggest reasons I want to try them is to be able to more easily change between topside and UW settings. Also, I am trying to get better with the strobe and I need some consistent starting points and then I can play from there.

I wish I had some good macro and super macro shots to figure out some baseline settings. Any recommendations anyone?

kelphelper:
One of the biggest reasons I want to try them is to be able to more easily change between topside and UW settings. Also, I am trying to get better with the strobe and I need some consistent starting points and then I can play from there.

I wish I had some good macro and super macro shots to figure out some baseline settings. Any recommendations anyone?
This is what I start off with, usually tweaking the shutterspeed, aperture and zoom according to the scene:

Macro: Manual (M), Macro, Spot focus, 1/250s, f5.6, Slave flash (Level 1), SHQ, ISO64, zoomed in 3/4 of the way.

SMacro: Manual (M), SMacro, Spot focus, 1/500s, 8.0, Slave flash (Level 1), SHQ, ISO64.

You can set the picture quality to SHQ JPEG or RAW depending on your shooting preferences.

Note: on the D-180 you must turn the Advance Cancel Circuit OFF by installing the magnet for the above settings.

ReyeR:
Note: on the D-180 you must turn the Advance Cancel Circuit OFF by installing the magnet for the above settings.

Thanks ReyeR! I will try them out tomorrow!

You know, the explanation you gave a month or two ago about the magnet and when to use it/not use it was the most helpful tip I had received regarding my D180. I was having such a hard time with it prior to your help.

Now with these settings, I hope to really get some good stuff! The results I have had have been pretty good, but inconsistent. The my modes settings may help me get more consistency.

Thanks for your help!!

My favorite For deep dives is F5.6 and 1/125 for the close stuff, the strobe is set to automatic and 5.6 The background will often be black and the object will just jump out :D

One thing to remember is that there is a number of settings that will give proper exposure. Your camera, set on ISO 100, shutter speed at 1/125 and f-stop at 5.6 will yield the same exposure as ISO 100, shutter speed of 1/250 and f-stop of 4, as will ISO 100, shutter speed 1/500 and f-stop 2.8. The difference between the photo taken with these different settings is going to be depth of field. The settings with the larger f-stop (smaller aperture) will yield more depth of field.

ReyeR:
This is what I start off with, usually tweaking the shutterspeed, aperture and zoom according to the scene:

Macro: Manual (M), Macro, Spot focus, 1/250s, f5.6, Slave flash (Level 1), SHQ, ISO64, zoomed in 3/4 of the way.

SMacro: Manual (M), SMacro, Spot focus, 1/500s, 8.0, Slave flash (Level 1), SHQ, ISO64.

You can set the picture quality to SHQ JPEG or RAW depending on your shooting preferences.

Do you have a link to that thread?
i still dont understand what the hell that Magnet thing is for.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom