50ft dive after 1hr of instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this a NEW rule? Last I heard the Intro dive was regulated the same as OW dives 1 & 2m, 40' max depth (at least here in the North America region).

Here's an abstract from the manual...it doesn't vary regionally.

Pool or confined open water dive
PADI Members may conduct the Discover Scuba Diving program in a pool or
confined open water environment
Location, Depth and PADI Member Qualifications
Pool or confined open water environment Maximum
depth: 6 metres/20 feet.

Subsequent Open Water Dives
After new divers complete a PADI Discover Scuba Diving open water dive with a
PADI Instructor, they may participate in additional dives supervised by certified
assistants.

Skills for Open Water Dive

When Discover Scuba Diving divers will go on an open water dive, a
PADI Instructor must introduce and have them practice the following
skills in shallow water:
Breathing underwater
Regulator clearing
Regulator recovery
Mask clearing
Equalization techniques

Optional Open Water Dive
Depth, Supervision and Ratios
Open water dive Maximum depth: 12 metres/40 feet.
Only Teaching status PADI Instructors may conduct the PADI Discover
Scuba Diving program in an open water environmentÍÊncluding all
portions of the program leading to and including the open water
dive.

A resort course for sure. Those can be found the world over, including the USA.

They basically teach enough skills so that the diver is not going to kill themselves, and the diving is limited to doing a particular area with an instructor. It's quite common, and while not the best way to learn to dive, it is a good way to determine if diving is something of interest.

The downside is that these classes give a new diver a false sense of ability and skill which they completely lack. The idea is that once the mark, err individual, has done a dive or two, they are hooked, and immediately sign up for OW. Unfortunately what does happen is the the non-certified diver decides diving is easy, and with no understanding of the inherent dangers, they attempt to get air, and can often succeed.

I would suggest that if folks know any of these rogue divers that they encourage them to get certified. :D

Here's an abstract from the manual...it doesn't vary regionally.

Pool or confined open water dive
PADI Members may conduct the Discover Scuba Diving program in a pool or
confined open water environment
Location, Depth and PADI Member Qualifications
Pool or confined open water environment Maximum
depth: 6 metres/20 feet.

Subsequent Open Water Dives
After new divers complete a PADI Discover Scuba Diving open water dive with a
PADI Instructor, they may participate in additional dives supervised by certified
assistants.

Skills for Open Water Dive

When Discover Scuba Diving divers will go on an open water dive, a
PADI Instructor must introduce and have them practice the following
skills in shallow water:
Breathing underwater
Regulator clearing
Regulator recovery
Mask clearing
Equalization techniques

Optional Open Water Dive
Depth, Supervision and Ratios
Open water dive Maximum depth: 12 metres/40 feet.
Only Teaching status PADI Instructors may conduct the PADI Discover
Scuba Diving program in an open water environmentÍÊncluding all
portions of the program leading to and including the open water
dive.

Well I guess I have never done anything other than the last two paragraphs; shallow water (pool) skills and open water dive (max depth 40').

From the way you present it, I guess I could take non-certified divers on 20' max depth confined open water dives without doing any skills!

I don't remember where I first heard that suggestion, but long ago figured out that it was wrong - probly when diving a 7 mil suit in Blue Hole.

You probably already guessed that the incident I described was at the Blue Hole as well.

There is none. However, the majority of agencies in existence have agreed to be compliant to the standards set by the Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC).

There is no reason why anyone else couldn't found their own training agency. However, the issue they would face would be whether they could obtain liability insurance for themselves (as an organization) and their instructors.
And there you have it. RSTC defines a *minimum* standard that the member agencies *must* accept. Which is why you'll find that some agencies such as NAUI, GUE, UTD, etc. don't subscribe to it.

Instructors don't need to teach through an RSTC-affiliated agency in order to get insurance.

FWIW, other than my PADI OW/AOW cards, none of my other certifications are from agencies affiliated with the RSTC.

You probably already guessed that the incident I described was at the Blue Hole as well.
Not the only place I've worn a 7 mil, but yeah - for you working with a student, figured.

Well I guess I have never done anything other than the last two paragraphs; shallow water (pool) skills and open water dive (max depth 40').

From the way you present it, I guess I could take non-certified divers on 20' max depth confined open water dives without doing any skills!

Yes, that is correct... you can take people to 6m without skills in confined open water. This enables divemasters (who complete the separate DSD internship) to lead a 'soft' DSD. Remember, DMs cannot 'teach' new skills.

If customers want to do subsequent open water dives (to 12m) then they must have completed the required skills with an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom