67Mm lens adapter for oval port Canon DC housings (incl G9)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Canon A640 with DC8 housing and have been wondering how to adapt a wide angle lens.

JBB, have you got any pics of your conversion?

I finally took some pictures of my humbler adapter. I think it works pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 114
Anyways they have a 67mm lens adapter for Canon DC housings with an oval port that will fit a DC6(A710), DC8(A630/A640), DC11(G7), DC16(A720), DC18(A650) and DC21(G9).

UWdigitalcamera.com

Judging from the photo, it looks like it might work, but then again, I'm no expert in using lens adapters, so I'll appreciate some input of what you guys think about this device.

Thanks,
Adriaan

Hi steen,

I'm using a G9 and I have just bought the adapter you mentioned from UWdigitalcamera.com and I'll tell you what: Stop thinking and just get it!! Here's the reason why:

1) Mr. Yuzo from UWdigitalcamera.com is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, the service is TOP NOTCH!!
2) The Adapter does NOT "seems-like-it-might-work" but works like a charm as it fit snugly on the housing, leaving (almost) no gap between the lens and the housing port.
3) yes you can DIY based on a lot of the suggestion given in this forum but seriously with the price quoted on UWdigitalcamera.com, do you really wana go through all the trouble? (OK, if u r a DIYman, then by all means please do)

A word of advice, if you wanna use wide angle lens, you are starting on the wrong foot, get the Ikelite housing instead, in which case, you will have no need for any adapter whatsoever and youcan have effective use of both wide angle and macro wet lenses (With canon housing, only macro is suitable and even then, you'll need to zoom in a little).

Hope it helps.

JBB, that's imprsessive DIY!! I've got an old farmer john jacket that's getting anihilated tonight

thanks. i bought the bayonet lenses so can't use that nice prefab unit. I also have the two lenses stacked and a ring on top of both of those. That is where i snug down the zip tie in case i want to use just one macro lense. it does take some adjustment once you have the neoprene sock over the case but the velcro should keep it from moving about. Make sure the sock fits pretty snug too. Another note in case you modify - do not forget that the neoprene will compress as you go deeper. i used 3mm scrap that i bought from a material supply store. i still need to add a tether to it as well.

As respects using a wide angle lens with the Canon housing lens port adapter, this is the reply I received from Yuzo:

"For DC8/18 or DC6/16, it is possible to use UWL-100 with some zooming up but not recommended. Even with these, you see some blooming of the image.

But with DC11 or DC21, you see hard vignetting and blooming of image, and I say it is impossible to use."

I purchased one of the adapters from scubacam.nl for use on my WP-DC21/Canon G9, and in discussions with Ron Polet (the owner of scubacam) about what I was going to use the adapter on, and with, he advised that I could not use an Epoque WA converter (which I already own), due to severe vignetting, but that the Dyron lens is fine to use as it sits closer to the Canon lens than the Epoque. He also added that the Inon macro lenses should be fine.

Due to the cost of the Dyron ($A380+), I dont think I will be testing this advice out any time soon tho, but would appreciate any info from anyone who has the Canon setup and Dyron lens.

Thanks for all the helpful input guys!!!
Since I’m more interested in taking macro shots and not too bothered about wide angle, I think the conversion ring might be the way to go for me.

Cheers

Further to my previous, I received the adapter today and must say I am fairly impressed - it fits very snugly onto the housing lens port and has no movement when properly secured, even when adding or removing lenses.

The only downside to this adapter is that when it is in place, the housing diffuser plate can no longer be used, as the adapter covers the ridge at the front of the lens port that the diffuser normally clips in to.

This is no real biggie for people who dont use an external strobe, however I use an Inon D180 with the Inon Clear Photo System, and so need somewhere to mount the fibre optic cable cap - the diffuser is the only place anywhere on the housing that this can be done.

Hopefully either Canon can take a look at the housing (unlikely tho') and possibly consider "hard-mounting" a diffuser onto the housing (a-la Olympus housings), or that some sort of mod can be done to the adapters to enable the diffuser to be mounted onto it. Personally, I would prefer the first option as I feel the diffuser setup is not optimum - rather flimsy for starters, plus a long way away from the internal flash.

Any suggestions ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom