7 Foot Bull Shark Attacks Diver Off Riviera Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..Animal behavior on the other hand can be quite unpredictable and any given animal might deviate from the common/expected behavior at any time - no way to really plan for that, .

I can very easily change a shark's behavior just by swimming very fast directly at it and barking and I do it all the time to back down a shark that doesn't want to play nice. Whether it be a silted out cave or a bad shark, good training results in good plans & outcomes.

I can very easily change a shark's behavior just by swimming very fast directly at it and barking and I do it all the time to back down a shark that doesn't want to play nice. Whether it be a silted out cave or a bad shark, good training results in good plans & outcomes.
OK - good luck with that when you come across that one shark that does not behave like most of the others you may have encountered or you don't even see it even coming in a chum-induced feeding frenzy...but it is your life, so go ahead to roll the dice if you feel it works for you.

Bark bark bark . . .ya there look at em go:p

Heh, not terrified of dogs, but something sizable (figure a diver in swimming position with fins is 8-9 feet long, which is as big or bigger than most sharks) that's making loud weird noises and coming straight at you is generally something evolution prefers you avoid. Are there exceptions? Sure, but they tend to be pretty specific. So far keeping turned towards them and the occasional kamikaze run have worked well for me. I'm not too worried about the ones I see; it's the ones I don't see that bother me. The behavior remark wasn't meant as "I know what the shark will do;" while it may do something unexpected I still have options for dealing with that (up to and including a pointy stick if it gets really ornery).

One thing I haven't done yet with the big girls is freediving, like this diver and the last guy bit while spearing cobia were doing. Tank or no tank I'm not outrunning a shark, but I've generally noticed bulls are pretty circumspect around scuba divers - and both times when I've seen them get "fired up" a little, it was while I was on my way to the surface.

Just bark as you surface, I'm sure you'll be fine.

That's my understanding as well (haven't met a shark, yet). All of the advice and training I've received suggests to become big, aggressive and loud as you start going at the shark, don't give up your catch and if it/they won't leave, you should. Most likely that shark is going to quickly leave and if it doesn't and you aren't able to escape, you should have contingencies. However, in an amped up feeding frenzy with multiple sharks, the being aggressive act likely isn't going to work as the wolf pack mentality may be going on among the group of sharks.

I am curious though why many on this board think shark "experience" feeding dives are acceptable, yet would likely call chumming stupid. What's the difference? I don't like either as I believe those sharks involved can become problematic and also are more likely to die one day from a spearo defending him/herself. My comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, but whenever I see a thread about a shark experience dive most everyone participating thinks it's so cool. :idk:

There are differences. Let's compare specifics. Stuart Cove in the Bahamas does shark dives. You've got one staff member with whatever bait they use, and a bunch of reef sharks come in drawn by scent and habituated experience, hoping for a piece of dead fish. Perhaps someone who's been on one of these dives 1st hand can give insight.

Not bull sharks. Not spearing & pulling in live, thrashing fish that stimulate the sharks, and probably dash around trying to free themselves.

If you want to compare, pick a particular shark experience dive, whether Stuart Cove, Emerald Dive Charters out of Florida, etc...

Richard.

That's my understanding as well (haven't met a shark, yet). All of the advice and training I've received suggests to become big, aggressive and loud as you start going at the shark, don't give up your catch and if it/they won't leave, you should. Most likely that shark is going to quickly leave and if it doesn't and you aren't able to escape, you should have contingencies. However, in an amped up feeding frenzy with multiple sharks, the being aggressive act likely isn't going to work as the wolf pack mentality may be going on among the group of sharks.

I am curious though why many on this board think shark "experience" feeding dives are acceptable, yet would likely call chumming stupid. What's the difference? I don't like either as I believe those sharks involved can become problematic and also are more likely to die one day from a spearo defending him/herself. My comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, but whenever I see a thread about a shark experience dive most everyone participating thinks it's so cool. :idk:
To me, shark feedings are a bad idea. They may be a "cool" experience as they provide up close viewing of these awesome predators (so a thrill, esp. for adrenaline junkies due to the "danger" normally associated with sharks), but they likely also create new behaviors for sharks towards divers that could be problematic in some cases.

I have done the shark dive at Stuart's Cove. I have also been fortunate to do the shark feeding training (they teach you some stuff and then you go down and do two shark dives feeding the fish yourself - an awesome experience by the way.) I thought I would post my impressions (and I realize that one person's experience doesn't prove anything on way or the other.)

During my experience, the sharks only cared about the food and showed no interest in any divers without food. During a dive at the site where they conduct the shark feeds, without food, sharks did appear, but they kept to a respectable distance, the same as any other site I have been. They also disappeared relatively quickly when they realized there was no food. I did not feel that the sharks came any closer to me then at any other location where they do not do shark feeds. Other then the fact that there were more sharks then I typically see on a dive, the sharks acted the same as other sharks. On sites near the shark feeding dive sites, there were no more sharks then on a typical dive. You may see one or two, but you also may not see any.

During the feeds, the sharks appear to only care about the food. I did the shark feeding with my with so we would take turns. When it was not your turn, you would stand a few feet (less then five) away from the person doing the feeding. The sharks generally ignored the non-feeding diver. The sharks would swim by the non-feeding diver, but there was no real interaction from the sharks. There was no bumping, or any behavior that would give me an indication that they cared about the presence of the non-feeding diver.

I don't know whether shark feedings are good or bad. In my experience, it was one of my best dives being able to actually interact with the sharks. I do think that the shark dives can show people that sharks are not terrifying man eating creatures. But whether that benefit outweighs any negative consequences is the question that would have to be answered.

My two cents.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom