7 missing divers - Jupiter - all found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glad all worked out well in the long run....perhaps things will run better and smoother in the future now....

Some of those divers are climbing aboard the dive boat with fins on. Makes things a bit more awkward, no?
It's a fin on ladder on the Republic 7.

None were on renreathers.
2 were. The last 2 up the ladder. A Pathfinder and a Prism II it looks like. I know the meg diver, he was a long time client of mine, although he was a Poseidon diver then. He got his Pathfinder a couple of months ago.

I came across this video of the rescue. Two things stand out to me. Bigger is better for an SMB, when the defication strikes the rotary oscillator. And laying the SMB horizontal in the water makes it easier for air searchers to see it.

What struck me is that, even in the zoomed in camera views, the divers without SMB's were hard to see - zoomed out they were invisible. As others have said, a diver should always carry one in open water and the bigger-the-better.

This looks like a nice option as well - has anyone used one of these?

See Rescue Streamer

It also looked like there was a pretty strong surface current too?

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that shark circling as well behind them.
a big one

then again, expected when ops do shark feeding in the area

What struck me is that, even in the zoomed in camera views, the divers without SMB's were hard to see - zoomed out they were invisible. As others have said, a diver should always carry one in open water and the bigger-the-better.

This looks like a nice option as well - has anyone used one of these?

See Rescue Streamer

It also looked like there was a pretty strong surface current too?
those streamers are awesome, so are dye packs

Question, since it looks like a sunny day in the video--

How many of us still carry, and use, reflectors? This would seem like the most long-range way to get the attention of a boat or aircraft.

I too say good on the Republic VII captain for pulling the trigger on reporting to the authorities. But it does get you discussed for a day or two on Scubaboard and who knows where else.. no good deed goes un-socialmedia'd these days. But lots better than lost diver news because they delayed the notification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom