70 meter dive ends tragically - Lake of Geneva, Switzerland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Un plongeur perd la vie près du château de Chillon
Google translated....
Monday, around 14:55, the Vaud cantonal police was informed that a diving accident had just occurred in Veytaux. Elements collected by the police of the Lake Brigade, it appears that the victim, a Swiss of 33 years, residing in Valais, was diving with another diver near the castle of Chillon.

The tragedy occurred when the victim was performing her decompression stops in order to rise to the surface after descending to more than 70 meters deep, according to a statement from the cantonal police of Vaud.

Upon arrival at the scene, Lake Brigade divers conducted underwater searches to locate the casualty. Due to poor weather, searches had to be stopped in the evening and resumed in the morning. Late Tuesday morning, they managed to locate the victim and raised him to the surface where they could only see his death.

The duty prosecutor opened a criminal investigation to establish the exact circumstances of this event. Investigations are currently being conducted by the gendarmes of the Vaud Lake Constabulary Brigade.

This accident required the intervention of several Riviera police patrols and the Vaud gendarmerie, members of the Montreux and Villeneuve rescue companies, as well as the REGA and a SMUR doctor.

230' dive at altitude.

230' dive at altitude.
The lake's surface is at 1220 feet. Does that matter much? The depth was certainly significant.

I read this and could only wonder what could have been so interesting to see that deep in a lake?

That's Lake Geneva, so maybe thousands of years of history? Or a training dive.

I read this and could only wonder what could have been so interesting to see that deep in a lake?
Nothing worth dying for, I'm sure. However, no one starts a dive thinking that death is even a remote possibility. I've made some pretty 'boring' dives shallow. There's a lot of exploration in finding something cool. I've done a few deep dives, 200ft+ without seeing what I thought I was going to see. IOW, I've stopped judging why people dive a certain place. Diving is all about limits. Exceed yours and you might have the devil to pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom