750 lb hammerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a shame. It's too bad they killed a beautiful fish like that so they could bury it in an orange grove. What a waste.

kent_1848:
What a shame. It's too bad they killed a beautiful fish like that so they could bury it in an orange grove. What a waste.
I agree. All that for a picture and your name in the record book

Just out of curiosity, why would they bury the body? isn't there something useful to be done with it?
even if they ate it, i think it is better than discarding the shark off-hand. or put it back in the sea where it will be eaten by other creatures. at least make use of what you kill.

how is this different from someone killing a shark to cut off the fins only? (i know, you can relate it to scale, sustainable resourses arguements etc. so don't go crazy, just thought i'd point it out.)

JE

Jedderkoppen:
Just out of curiosity, why would they bury the body? isn't there something useful to be done with it?
even if they ate it, i think it is better than discarding the shark off-hand. or put it back in the sea where it will be eaten by other creatures. at least make use of what you kill.

how is this different from someone killing a shark to cut off the fins only? (i know, you can relate it to scale, sustainable resourses arguements etc. so don't go crazy, just thought i'd point it out.)

JE
Why would someone kill a shark to cut off the fins? Seems like I have heard of this before, but I am not sure.

Jedderkoppen:

JE

What gave you the impression that I am for finning?

Nothing, i was not trying to imply that anyone was for finning. i hope my post did not come across as such.

i was just genuinly curious as to why they did not use the shark for something. to discard the body in such a manner seems akin to finning, thus the reference.

i am not a deep sea fisher, so don't know if there is a reason for discarding the catch or not. thought someone would be able to enlighten me.

Cheers,
JE

RJTY,

Finning is a practice in Asia / SE Asia of catching a shark merely to harvest its fins. because the fishermen can fit more fins into their boat than bodies it is common to discard the body into the ocean.

the fins are used for shark fin soup and traditional medicines, among other things.

Cheers,
JE

Shame about the waste of such a creature. I would have liked to see it swimming free.

Z...

Thanks. I love to fish. I keep a lot to eat, but I also throw a lot back ( too small, or out of reg.). For some reason, I feel that is ok. I am not sure about finning though. Is this accepted? I look think I will research this a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom