7mm easiest to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to stick with a wetsuit, nothing is easier to put on that a skin-in or open cell freediving suit. You have to spray lube into them to get the on, but once you've done that they slip right on. You can't get them on without lube. I usually use diluted conditioner in a spray bottle, but any diluted soap will work.

Because they fit and stretch so much better than a traditional scuba suit, I've found they usually round up a thickness in warmth. So I'll dive a 3mm freediving suit where a 5mm suit is generally recommended. For a 7mm suit, you better be in sub 55 degree water.

Getting the top off afterward is a different consideration altogether! Buddies help!

This is going to sound crazy and unintuitive but the easiest wetsuit to put on does not have any lining on the inside, just rubber. By far, the warmest are those used by freedivers called open cell, which is a misnomer since sponges are open cell foam. What they really are is split cell, meaning that the surface was cut exposing all the closed gas cells along the cut. All those cut cells function like tiny suction cups against your skin so water circulation is dramatically reduced.

However, you must use suit lube or you can never get the suit on. Aside from sliding into the suit like a greased diver, material that only has Nylon lining on the outside is more flexible and stretchy.

None of my wetsuits have zippers, which fail, leak, and do not stretch. They are all two-piece farmer johns with pull-over beaver tail tops. The Scuba suits have neck dams instead of attached hoods. I have used this cut on custom suits since the 1970s.

Spearfishing & Freediving Wetsuits

Edit: Simulpost with @sea_ledford

Getting the top off afterward is a different consideration altogether!

I made a nylon strap that attaches to the beaver tail fasteners. I wrap it around something like a stanchion and connect it to the suit. That lets be bend over and gently back out of it. Works great solo.

This is going to sound crazy and unintuitive but the easiest wetsuit to put on does not have any lining on the inside, just rubber. By far, the warmest are those used by freedivers called open cell, which is a misnomer since sponges are open cell foam. What they really are is split cell, meaning that the surface was cut exposing all the closed gas cells along the cut. All those cut cells function like tiny suction cups against your skin so water circulation is dramatically reduced.

However, you must use suit lube or you can never get the suit on. Aside from sliding into the suit like a greased diver, material that only has Nylon lining on the outside is more flexible and stretchy.

None of my wetsuits have zippers, which fail, leak, and do not stretch. They are all two-piece farmer johns with pull-over beaver tail tops. The Scuba suits have neck dams instead of attached hoods. I have used this cut on custom suits since the 1970s.

Spearfishing & Freediving Wetsuits

Edit: Simulpost with @sea_ledford
Great minds think alike. And apparently, so do we!

I have used two 7mm wetsuits in my 18 years of diving. Hated it each time. I bought my first drysuit 4 months after getting certified and have always used that. I've flown with my drysuit from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. No issues. Other than SF airport sucks for getting around.
Anytime the water is less than 74 or so, I'm diving dry. I have taken my 5mm Mako freediving farmer john with attached hood into 65 degree water and was fine. But I have 10mm on the core with it. As others have said you need to lube the suit with Suitslide or some other substance. I like Suave conditioner - coconut scent. Diluted about 30-40%. Easy to slide on and off, smells great, and makes my skin nice and soft after cooking in it for a couple of hours!

You have to spray lube into them to get the on, but once you've done that they slip right on. You can't get them on without lube. I usually use diluted conditioner in a spray bottle, but any diluted soap will work.

+1

My 1st choice would be to lose the wetsuit and go dry. My 2nd choice would be go dry:). My 3rd choice would be ^^^ diluted conditioner or baby conditioner in a spray bottle. We do that for the kids and it works pretty good.

Bonus is it's great for defogger if you don't like spit... I have a weird kid who doesn't like spit.

My current Aqualung SolaFX is pretty easy with skinsuit, but Bare seems to make the most flexible. Others have mentioned Henderson as being pretty easy to put on.

If you're looking at 7mm closed cell wetsuit, zips at the ankles and wrists do help with donning and doffing.

If you're looking at 7mm closed cell wetsuit, zips at the ankles and wrists do help with donning and doffing.
Agreed. See post #3.

Hey,
The OP was talking about 7mil wetsuits, not drysuits people. I have used multiple rental 7 mils in Holland and they were a nightmare to don. A while back I tried several and I wound up with a Scubapro suit (the cheaper version, forgot the name). Arms and legs have zippers and sort of seals that are somewhat easier. It's still a hassle, but It's doable and I have yet to encounter a 7 mil suit that is easier.

Using lube is an option but I have chosen not to. Get too dirty and is difficult to clean imho.

Good luck and have fun diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom