8/6/11 McAbee & Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkyaffe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Had a phenomenal day in Monterey yesterday. Got down early afternoon to do two dives at McAbee to play with my new camera. Lesson learned... Playing with a new camera in one hand, looking in crevices with a light with the other and trying to navigate with another leaves you in a digital and cognitive deficit situation. Don't multitask with new skills.

Dives 1 & 2 at McAbee to 54' each time out and back. Viz was probably pushing 15-20 and while surge was obnoxious above 20' it calmed to nothing. Water was warm only getting to 55 at depth. First dive was 0:54 and second was 0:43. On the second dive we were joined by a very playful harbor seal who kept playing "Fin or Food?" with our fins. His favorite game seemed to be to come up behind us, get our attention and then find somewhere nearby to stop. This video shows one of the staring contests.

[fv]817858118624[/fv]

After that we had dinner and went on Dive 3... first night dive ever. Breakwater after sundown. Lots of octos from tiny inch-across ones that folded themselves into impossibly small holes to two larger ones (bodies were fist sized, a couple feet across incl tentacles) who were either fighting or mating. Hard to tell. One giant crab in three or four pieces on the rocks. Possibly at the hands of our friend from earlier. Even warmer... 60! and awesome viz without all the students kicking up the bottom.

More (mostly terrible) pics @ McAbee Beach dives with MacRae - Ben Yaffe's Photographs - Powered by Phanfare

-Ben

Hey, Chuck. Thanks for the brain food... There is that 1/4-20 mount on the bottom of the camera housing... I suppose I could devise a rigging solution for the dive light. The lesson yesterday was more on the cognitive load side, though. OW course stressed "single-purpose dives" which was driven home yesterday. Nothing bad happened, but it was clear that I should have left one of the toys back in the car until I'm more used to carrying them.

Ben

UK makes a torch that you can strap to your mask. It might annoy your buddies though everytime you look at them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom