8 changes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned to dive during the 1/4 turn days. When I started diving again a couple of years ago I was told that it was no longer necessary and I thought “So?”. I thought that all the way up to the time I went into the water on a shore dive with my tank 1/4 turned on. I caught it at 30’ when I watched my gauge drop with each breath. I then realized that either all on or all off would be the best scenario. All on, I’m set. All off, I know it before I drop into the water because my reg is in my mouth as I walk through the surf or, in the case of boat diving, my three deep test breaths before I step off the deck.

As far as weight belts, I haven’t used them since the early 90’s, and really don’t miss them. If I have to mess with my tank while under my bc goes on backwards, arms through the holes so I can reach my tank, and I tilt myself so that I’m facing slightly upwards. That being said, I don’t view belts as a hazard, just an inconvenience.

Snorkels, I take a pocket snorkel on shore dives, but have never used it. We always do swim outs on our backs. I do use them on boat dives so I can look around while I’m either waiting for my buddy or waiting to get back on the boat. @Snoweman, I’ve seen those battles regarding back inflates, and don’t want to see another. However, once I figured out the right way to kick my legs out, it became easy. That’s how I hang out on the surface most of the time.

Erik

I’ve seen those battles regarding back inflates, and don’t want to see another. However, once I figured out the right way to kick my legs out, it became easy. That’s how I hang out on the surface most of the time.

I agree, somewhat. With my back inflate, I feel that I need to roll and balance on my back at the surface, so I am basically lying on my back. I don't think I have enough gut muscles to keep my legs elevated to stay vertical on the surface.

I learned the 1/4 turn from welding, it’s better for the valve I learned, isn’t that still true? Anyway I am pretty flexible and so I can check my tank on my back... turning away from the head is on. If I’ve felt a DM touch my valve I check it on the way down. Don’t like anyone touching my rig!

Shore diving California we snorkled out, very useful; more recently in Florida imitating cave divers and other cool kids I took it off. Now it’s back in rolled up form after hearing a local instructors horror story about being abandoned by an irresponsible boat in high seas and drifting in to shore with 9 other divers over 3 hours— he said he was very grateful for his snorkle.

You do realize that we are talking about the tank valve being full on or full off or full on and then backed offed a 1/4 of a turn?
What else did you think I was referring to?

These are two alternate protocols. If you're perfect, it doesn't matter which you follow. If you're not perfect, you will at some point do the opposite thing - full off or full off and quarter-turn-on. This is confirmed by many reports of either. The debate comes down to which mistake is more dangerous.

irresponsible boat in high seas and drifting in to shore with 9 other divers over 3 hours— he said he was very grateful for his snorkle.
yak

#6: Compass navigation as an example of having to "leave behind" your students..... I have not seen compass navigation in OWD courses, but nevertheless, why is there a need to leave your students without direct supervision, when doing this? So in my eyes this statement is also untrue.

Reciprocal compass navigation at the surface and under water is a PADI requirement for all Open Water dive certification. Supervising and conducting this skill requirement properly underwater, in poor visibility conditions, with 4 or more students and alone, as an instructor with no DM or Asst. Instructor support is asking for trouble, in my experience. Getting separated from some of your students is a very high likelihood and stressful. Because it is a PADI requirement for OW certification, the folks that I work with err on the side of caution and never conduct this skill in poor conditions with more than 2 students at a time.

Only diving under supervision if you are OW or AOW would pretty much kill all beach diving around here. For that matter it is rare to see a dive master in the water in California. So that needed change would kill diving on the west coast. No thanks.

As someone whom has gone through training in the last few years his first point(no 8) I think is the key. I think better education on capability the training gives you what skills you need to continuously work on post training and how to maintain your skills is a needed requirement. Training qualifications seems to focus more on depth limits and progression on total dives as opposed to skills and type of diving.

As someone whom has gone through training in the last few years his first point(no 8) I think is the key. I think better education on capability the training gives you what skills you need to continuously work on post training and how to maintain your skills is a needed requirement. Training qualifications seems to focus more on depth limits and progression on total dives as opposed to skills and type of diving.
Don't disagree, but not sure what you mean. You learn all the OW skills in the pool and then some in the ocean. Hopefully you also accomplish basic diving and have decent buoyancy. You also have the manual (and those from advanced courses you take) to review at your leisure. What else can an instructor or agency do? I admit that I didn't practice the (20+) pool skills for my first 100 dives or so. Though I did review the manuals daily (and continue to do so). My bad, and I assume the same of many others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom