800 Year old ship - raised out of 65 feet of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The ship dates from the early Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279). It was discovered in 1987 off the coast near the city of Yangjiang, in Guangdong province, in more than 65 feet of water."

Could mean any depth, really...

But interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

"After 800 years at the bottom of the sea, a merchant ship loaded with porcelain and other rare antiques was raised to the surface Friday in a specially built basket, a state news agency reported."

A very fascinating project indeed, but I doubt there's going to be very much left of the actual ship itself after 800 years in the ocean. I have seen pieces of oak from a ship that sunk in 1790. I will not last very much longer, as it was eaten hollow by worms. But the cannons and anchors were all there, so it was really cool still! I suppose it's more likely the cargo they will salvage. The porcelain will remain in excellent condition!

(I personally found a boatwreck dated from beteween 1480-1520 in our lake, and you can still see what it is. But freshwater with a lot of mud conserves wood even better than metal)

Always wanted to visit China. I checked up on it and they recommended hooking up with a tourist outfit. I dont want to do that. I'd like to wander around different places with a guide/interpretor. They assured me that that would be fine for a fee and that a gov't dude would be with me all the time so as not to be talking with the wrong people. Wrong people being those who oppose the communist party. Also that I would have to pay this guy's wages, board and feed him while he was along, keeping an eye on the 'subjects'.

Getting a private guide is way way way better than going with a tourist outfit. They would keep bringing you to outlets selling jade, chinese medicine, Fengshui items blah blah blah blah blah...I've been to China a few times and the trips i went on my on are way more interesting than those arranged by toursit outfits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom