85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now boys, lets not make this just about you when there are so many other horses to beat here.

He's bored. Let him get it off his chest. He'll feel better.

He's bored

I'm certainly not posting because I think I'm going to change your attitude; the biggest optimist in the world wouldn't take that one on

But since you're humouring me, perhaps you could remind me what it was that I "refused" to do "even when asked nicely"?

Oh, alright then...

I was going to ask Ian what he didn't like about my gas switch protocol (stage bottle reg hanging down)

Why does it appear that second stages are hanging down in the photo?

Because the photo was taken during a gas switch

What sort of excuse is that? Its just sloppy

Unike some people, I am genuinely interested in learning, not just pretending...

So, feel free to chime in anyone

Last edited:
Normoxic refers to to the content of O2. Yes, they both contain the same 3 gases, but normoxic have a depth limit. For me, this is the difference between normoxic and trimix, that is how I distinguish between the 2.

Secondly, I am not trimix certified, but normoxic (normocix trimix, before you have fit again). Something is seriously wrong if other non-trimix members understand what I tried to rely, but a commercial diver does not.

Keep going, son, you're special!!!!

Just because that's how you choose to distinguish a difference doesn't mean that it's correct.

Oh, alright then...

I was going to ask Ian what he didn't like about my gas switch protocol (stage bottle reg hanging down)

Its sloppy and it looks like crap. :D

Might not be a problem in deep water but in other environments the dangling reg is either going to be tearing up coral, dredging through silt or getting snagged on lines.

Here's a suggestion : When you have almost finished your 30 foot stop go back onto backgas and neatly stow the 70 foot reg. Move up to 20 feet and switch to the O2 reg. That way you're not juggling 2 deco regs at the same time. Also gives you a break to lower pO2 before starting on the O2.

Who cares how it looks I'm diving not posing for photos

When you have almost finished your 30 foot stop go back onto backgas and neatly stow the 70 foot reg. Move up to 20 feet and switch to the O2 reg. That way you're not juggling 2 deco regs at the same time. Also gives you a break to lower pO2 before starting on the O2.

In the PSAI NM thread, people had a haemorrage when I said I switched back to backgas before surfacing... lol. Anyway...

Apart from the air break, I don't see any advantage compared to what I do, in the conditions (OW) that I dive - and I don't see much benefit taking an air break after only ~9 minutes on 50 mix; meanwhile you're adding an extra switch

FWIW, this is what I do during the ascent (depths are for example, obviously depends on the run time); focus is gas swap protocol not deco plan:

~45m: Deploy 50 mix (pull out second stage, charge, purge, leave it hanging)
30-40m: deploy SMB
33-24m: make first stop(s)
21m: switch from backgas to 50 (pick up dangling second, swap; clip off primary second)
18-9m: stops as planned
9m: deploy O2 as above
6m (start): switch from 50 to 100 (as above)
6m (during): Stow hose from 50 (unclip from hip; clip to SMB; stow hose; unclip from SMB; tuck back under arm)
6m (end): switch to backgas; unclip 100 from hip, swing out front; clip to lower on 50 (after swinging out front); clip both to SMB; stow 100 hose; unclip 100 from chest, clip to top 50; unclip SMB; tuck both stages under left arm)
6-0m: 3 minutes to ascend
0m: clip stages to SMB; unclip 50 from chest; hand to boatman; ditch doubles, hand to boatman; ditch fins, get on board

I think that's accurate anyway, getting late here

Feel free to critique, it works for me

Apart from the air break, I don't see any advantage compared to what I do, in the conditions (OW) that I dive - and I don't see much benefit taking an air break after only ~9 minutes on 50 mix; meanwhile you're adding an extra switch

One advantage is that learning and practicing good habits in the beginning means you don't have to relearn them if you choose to move to different environments. YMMV.

Oh, and the advantage to the air break is that you've already racked up a high CNS% due to the extreme PO2 of your dive.

One advantage is that learning and practicing good habits in the beginning means you don't have to relearn them if you choose to move to different environments

I did consider that before replying to Ian, and recognise the benefit of following the same procedures - but different environments require different behaviour, so.. is it necessary in this case? Dunno

Oh, and the advantage to the air break is that you've already racked up a high CNS% due to the extreme PO2 of your dive

Yes - what I said what that I don't see "much" benefit to taking an air break for 2 minutes

I just ran it on Decoplanner and the CNS% went from 630 to 629 - did I miss something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom