$90 USB Cable!!!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's compare apples to apples a HArley is a collectors item which appreciates over time, a dive computer is a consumable electronic that does not. A better comparison would be with a refridgerator. You would not pay MSRP for a 10 year old fridge even if it was brand new and was best in its class 10 years ago. There better ones with better technology available now. That's what we are saying

We aren't disputing that this technology isn't tried and true. What we are discussing is that there is newer technology that is more accurate, cheaper, more reliable, more user friendly and more accessible for the average person.

Do you disagree with that Jax?

Would you pay for that 10 year old fridge?

But we are not talking about a 10-year-old-fridge -- we are talking about known algorithms and a safety of life issue.

The only change in the Uwatec bottom timer, over the past 10 years, is an added "average depth" calculation. Yet people keep paying top dollar for it.

Why? Because Uwatec is tried and true, and has withstood the test of time. One point few seem to notice is "fail-safe". I keep seeing postings on how computers "go diving by themselves" (registering depth on the surface). I see postings on "my computer doesn't agree with my friend's computer". None are Uwatec.

Why? When Uwatec fails, it fails. You don't get false readings, or bad calculations, you get an error message or flat dead.

About the first time a computer made me question its operation would be the last time I used that type of computer, period.

My 13-year-old Aladin Pro Ultra died in Bonaire. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that every dive it took is still on it when I get it back from repair. My other Uwatecs are fat and happy. Is it annoying to send some off for a battery? No, because every time I get them back, they have several operational depth tests. I'm okay with that.

Still, I am MUCH more fond of my iRDA Uwatecs. :) The Aladin Pro Ultra is my tertiary backup.

Please tell us you did not make a computer decision based on the price of the cable. :shocked2:

Well that was my last deciding factor. I Purchased a Uwatec 2G and I love it. All the computers had the same features so the only thing that set them apart was the cable. Plus I feel better supporting a company that does not gouge it's customers for a Proprietary cable. Now if they would get there heads out of their rear ends when it comes to there regs I would support them all around.

Infrared is excellent. My Subgear XP-10, and my father's Uwatecs Smart Trak 2 both have Irda support. When I get home I just copy over the dives and print them for my log.

Suunto cables are just as overpriced. With the Cobra, I was able to purchase a 'third party' cable on ebay for I think $20 plus shipping. When I got the Cobra 3, I found out that the third party cable wouldn't work. I called Suunto and was told 'yup, that's the way it is, third party cables no longer work with our products. go find our $90 cable and you'll be happy.'

I can assure you that aside from DIR folks most people would choose not to pay MSRP for 10 year old technology. If I had a choice I would not have.

It is only because the dive computer companies do not give a choice that I paid for mine.

More is not always better, but banging two rocks together a space shuttle it does not make.

With that said I am done with this thread.

I can assure you that aside from DIR folks most people would choose not to pay MSRP for 10 year old technology. If I had a choice I would not have.

It is only because the dive computer companies do not give a choice that I paid for mine.

:confused: DIR folks? What on earth do they have to do with this topic?

Wait - what? Computer companies do not give you a choice . . . does that not mean that what is available IS indeed the latest technology? Once would assume the manufacturers will sell the best they can . . . . even if the actual above-surface technology came out 10 years ago, the underwater version is . . . today. :idk:

I'm sooo confused . . . .

The purchase of a $90 cable would be something to consider when buying a computer. If it bothers you that much, buy a different computer.

Reactions: Jax
Some people will try to tell you that it's a 'technical' or supply issue. It's greed, nothing more and nothing less.

Take a look at a Sunnto battery kit for the Gekko/Vyper/Cobra/..... A $4 battery and 10 cent o ring going for $20+. Don't use their kit, no warranty.

I realize that this is a 5-year-old thread, but it was the first search result I came across when I was looking for an Oceanic Veo data cable pinout. Not finding any answers I figured it out myself and am posting this here for anyone else who comes looking. It's a traditional 3.3V UART interface, with the addition of a 220k-ohm pullup resistor on the computer's TX line.

New Doc 22_1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom