$90 USB cables???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wealthychef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to know if I'm the only one who thinks it's completely insane that a cable to connect a VT3 dive computer to a PC is $90. :confused: What makes these cables so pricey? I know there is supply and demand, yada yada, but really, it can't cost more than $15 to make these things, can it? :shakehead:

Well, excluding the clip part that attaches to the computer its all standard parts.
Just a standard Serial to USB converter (they flash a code in the USB chip to make it come up as "Oceanic") a standard cable.

The cost to make the clip is a little coin. Injection molding setups can be 10's of thousands, so it really depends how many they sell.

But to answer, its diving related, price gets doubled, tripled, or higher.

I just wanted to know if I'm the only one who thinks it's completely insane that a cable to connect a VT3 dive computer to a PC is $90. :confused: What makes these cables so pricey? I know there is supply and demand, yada yada, but really, it can't cost more than $15 to make these things, can it? :shakehead:

You are probably right, perhaps even less, but I guess the problem is "we" cant make them for $15. So I take it you are not a "wealthy chef":wink:

First of all, I thought that the cable is included? My Aeris Elite T3 is the same thing and it came with the cable.

Secondly, don't bother to download like me. Voila!!! No problem, no hassle. Hehe.

Do not get me started on the ridiculous price of what is in essence a freaking USB cable.

I believe they are using the custom cable as a hardware lock on the s/w. Essentially in their mind, you are paying $90 for the cable and license for the s/w. With the need for the cable, they don't have to worry about people sharing the s/w with all their buddies on the internet.

They always have the option of adding blue tooth or IR interface to a computer which would be a real nice feature, but then they would loose a nice revenue stream.

You might want to check on Ebay if someone is selling these at lower price.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom