900 dives in a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say it is possible medically but IMHO you would not be able to do it physically. Just try doing 3 dives a day everyday for 2 weeks. It will feel like someone kicked the sh#t out you. I consider a dive much more than a ten minute splash in the water. A dive in my opinion should range anywhere from 35 - 200 minutes. If I were to use the hours in my logbook as 10 minute dives I would have over 2000 dives instead of 250. Is it possible? Sure. Has it been done? Probably. My guess if it were done it would be in a very very rare case.
JK

IMHO you would not be able to do it physically.

I'll let you know after I retire. Working full time, I get 100 - 150 per year, once I can put those other 40+ hours per week into diving, I suspect my totals will shoot up dramatically.

Kennedydive:
I would say it is possible medically but IMHO you would not be able to do it physically. Just try doing 3 dives a day everyday for 2 weeks. It will feel like someone kicked the sh#t out you.

Diving in a resort area is a tourist driven industry, time off just gets wishful thinking. The joke between working Divemasters and Instructors, was how do you tell when you have delayed symptoms of DCS, because you are always tired, beat, and sore from humping all those tanks, yes it does feel like someone kicked the sh#t out of you.
I would say that pool dives don't count, and who does 10 minute dives? The only 10 minute dives are for the mass production, diving barge operations, doing intro divers by the boatload.
Turtleguy

Excellent to hear everyone's feedback on this subject, I am going to print out some of the 'finer comments' and present them to my 'non-diving' buddy at our next meeting. I agree 900 dives a year is possible, but something that most of us would not feel comfortable with. Most of my diving is in the tropics and I have noticed especially with the 'native DM's' (Philippines, Indonesia) they get paid by the dive and some by how many divers as well, and they do 'push it to the limit' as far as how many dives they do.

Just to be clear, when I was doing a massive number of dives in a twelve month period all were "real" dives...minimum bottom times 45 minutes for the most part with a few slightly shorter for the deeper dives. So to get to 900/year you don't have to be doing DSDs, count your pool sessions or bounce on mini-dives.

Doing three or four dives/day 5 or 6 days/week can be tiring, but just like anything else, you get used to it and it isn't such a big deal after a while. It's just what you do!

And now that I don't do it, I really miss spending all that time underwater! Hate it when boring work gets in the way :wink:

200 dives a year is a lot of fun, 900 would feel like work to me. Depending where you diving of course, I guess it would be OK if it was a different place everytime.
Just imagine how much money you would have to spend on equipment maintenance.
You would need a new drysuit half way throught the year. You have to get your reg for maintenance 7 or 8 times during the year . 5 to 7 dollars per fills it could cost as much as 6300$ for 900 dives.

Both Alcina and Turtleguy dive for a living and I doubt that they have to pay for their air fills :wink:...and as with most jobs, you have tools of the trade - I'm on my 3rd wet suit for this year.

the worst part about it is getting into wet gear all the time ...euaagghhh!!!!

and no fingernails
and dried up hair
and the car trunk practically rotting off

on the plus side - the biceps ain't bad! (while it lasted, sigh...)

Though we may digress a bit from the original topic, if you're gonna do it:

Like justleesa said, you gotta have the right tools:

opiniongirl:
the worst part about it is getting into wet gear all the time ...euaagghhh!!!!...)
Multiple suits so one is always dry - this is essential for me coz I get cold and haven't gone the dry suit route.

opiniongirl:
no fingernails
Actually, I wear my nails long usually. They break sometimes, but that's life. Filing so I reduce snags is key for me.

opiniongirl:
and dried up hair
Biolage Conditioning Balm...I have just below shoulder hair and use less than a dime size out of the shower on dive days. Rinse and go after diving.

opiniongirl:
the car trunk practically rotting off
This is a problem. We've reduced the problem by switching to all plastic tubs and by using some sort of lanolin stuff on the underside of the car/trailer etc. Everything gets hosed off with copious fresh water.

opiniongirl:
the biceps ain't bad!
A nice benefit :)

tboxcar:
A buddy of mine (he is non-diver, but knows everything) and I were having a few drinks discussing diving, the discussion went on (long story) but the jist of it was, can it be physically possible, (or should I say medically possible) to perform 900 dives in a one year period. I dont' see why not, although you may be very tired and 'water logged' with the proper computer 900 dives in a one year period should be possible. Who is right, myself or my 'non-diver' buddy??

Let me guess, he cleans boat bottoms for a living. :)

Back
Top Bottom