900 dives in a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A buddy of mine (he is non-diver, but knows everything) and I were having a few drinks discussing diving, the discussion went on (long story) but the jist of it was, can it be physically possible, (or should I say medically possible) to perform 900 dives in a one year period. I dont' see why not, although you may be very tired and 'water logged' with the proper computer 900 dives in a one year period should be possible. Who is right, myself or my 'non-diver' buddy??

yes, its possible.

average of 2.5 dives every day for 365 days. defintely doable :)

I can easily make ridiculous numbers of dives a day if I wanted - just submerge 15 feet, go up, submerge 15 feet, etc... get my point.

but seriously, 900 dives a year for an enthuaist - realistically wont happen.

It's doable, but that is a lot of diving! I don't have many years with more than 900 dives but I do have a couple 12 month periods like that. Not anymore unfortunately!

yukoneer:
yes, its possible.

average of 2.5 dives every day for 365 days. defintely doable :)

but seriously, 900 dives a year for an enthuaist - realistically wont happen.

He does sleep - so maybe he only does, you know, 700 or 800 dives a year.

What a life!

:wink:

Miss you, bud. Be back soon.

Ken (and Jaye)

Must have been drinking some good stuff to come up with such a topic...........

I know a few DMs in tourist locations doing 5 normal dives / day or even more when doing try dives with boat loads of tourists.

I dunno, but I'd love to find out for myself.

But I've seen some of DM logging dives with intros (discovery dive)....
Two intros, 10 minutes, 6 meters. Then next 2 intros, and next 2 and so on.....
So with the group of ten intros it makes 5 dives per day....
:wink:
Mania

Aloha All
Is 900 dives a year an unreachable amount? No, I work as a Dive Guide/ Instructor here on Oahu, and average 6 dive days a week. On a regular day we have a minumum of one charter, most days two. At least 2 dives a day, one to 100, and one to 40ft.
Regular day consists of 4 dives, deep, shallow 3hour Surface interval, deep and shallow again. On most days I switch to Nitrox for the second charter, but dive it on the air computer limits.
Ok, here is my formula 24 dive days a month, 24 x 12 months = 288 dive days a year.
288 days times , oh lets say 3 dives = 864 I do like to go diving on my days off.
Just being conservative, on my calculations, but yes 900 dives in a year is possible for someone working a dive boat in a tropical location.
Aloha Turtleguy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom