A bit off topic - Birthday restaurant in Manila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be at Crystal Blue, then transferring back to Manila on my wife's birthday for a night at the Belmont Manila before our Tubbataha liveaboard. Been looking but haven't found anything, would like to take my wife and our friends to dinner. Any suggestions? Eat at the Belmont? Not super adventurous with food altho does not necessarily need to be western.

Also further out of left field, anyone ordered a birthday cake in the greater Manila area??

Thanks!

Depends what you want. We have not eaten near the Belmont. There is a Max’s near there (good Filipino food), but a chain. Try the fried chicken Filipino style or the lechon. If you want western style food, there is a good Italian chain with a place in the SM Asia area called Italianni’s. I am Italian American and liked several of their locations over a five month trip. We took Filipino relatives there and they loved it. Reasonable prices. The Filipinos LOVE the buffet style restaurants for special occasions. The malls have them, like The Viking buffet at SM Sucat . Free alcohol drinks with your meal! Good food…I’d call it “cruise line plus” style. Lots of western and Asian foods at those and very clean…good luck.

Note: If it were ME, I would go to a real lechon (specializes in roast pig) place, but you might not be looking for that. No special occasion in the Philippines is without a lechon. Good luck.

Lydia's Lechon in Manila.
I have a day each in Ormoc and Cebu, thank you for the reminder. It will be a crime not to take up the opportunity especially in Cebu. Can't wait.

In the Philippines cakes are bought at cake shops. The two big guns are Red Ribbon and Goldilocks You can just stop in any time, pick out a cake and they will write whatever you want on it. You can also have the cake delivered to your hotel from their websites/apps or through delivery services such as Ordermo, Food Panda or Grab. You can pay cash on the delivery to the driver. My personal preference is Red Ribbon. I think their cakes are better than Goldilocks. The rainbow dedication cake with chocolate frosting is my go-to.

Next to your hotel is the upscale Newport Mall they have a pretty good selection of restaurants in all price ranges and you can just walk there. Something a bit more unique would be the Harbor Restaurant on Manila Bay next to the US Embassy. (25 min taxi ride). It is on the water. The view and ambience is nice and very chill. The food is good, but average, although not too expensive.

IMG_5035.jpeg
Remembered the name of our favorite in Manila. Simple, not fancy, and no tourists….but great food at reasonable prices. Ice cold beer.

Ping Ping’s Native Lechon
14 A. Bonifacio Ave, La Loma, Quezon City, 1114 Metro Manila, Philippines

Lydia's Lechon in Manila.
I have a day each in Ormoc and Cebu, thank you for the reminder. It will be a crime not to take up the opportunity especially in Cebu. Can't wait.
Yes, Lydia’s is also very good. Been to a couple of their stores. 👍🏻

Thanks all for the recommendations! I’d be up for it but don’t think my wife would like the lechon

For a fun nite out, I'd go to the Filling Station, an over the top '50s theme American diner. It's up in Makati though so maybe a bit far. Is the Hobbit House still around?

Thanks all for the recommendations! I’d be up for it but don’t think my wife would like the lechon
Her birthday, her choice.
Candle evening for two and then a big feast after the LoB to Tubbataha.

For a fun nite out, I'd go to the Filling Station, an over the top '50s theme American diner. It's up in Makati though so maybe a bit far. Is the Hobbit House still around?
The Filling Station would be a good choice for something different and really it's only about a 20 min taxi ride from the Belmont. It's a bit touristy, but the food is actually pretty good. Hobbit House in Ermita closed permanently about 5 or 6 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom