A Close Call - Long Story.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get well soon Norcal, and thanks for posting this.

This is scary and it is a helpful reminder that we all should be conscious of natural inclination to deny the unexpected.

Best wishes.

Scary stuff. Good luck and thanks for making me more aware.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone and well wishes.

Now for the update. I had a stress test on Wed. They hooked me up to all kinds of monitors and made me walk on the treadmill then took an ultrasound of my heart. The treadmill almost killed me....Oh you just get on here and walk....Sheah, right! I was almost at a full run by the time it was over.

BUT! I'm all better. He said everything looks great and cleared for diving again. Yeah me!

Now, who wants to get wet?

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Thanks for the kind words from everyone and well wishes.

Now for the update. I had a stress test on Wed. They hooked me up to all kinds of monitors and made me walk on the treadmill then took an ultrasound of my heart. The treadmill almost killed me....Oh you just get on here and walk....Sheah, right! I was almost at a full run by the time it was over.

BUT! I'm all better. He said everything looks great and cleared for diving again. Yeah me!

Now, who wants to get wet?

I'm glad you are in one piece.

Any reason why you have heart disease so young?

Are your parents alive, brothers and sisters? Anyone else has issues with their heart before 50 years old?

Is your blood pressure ok? Cholesterol? Any smoking history?

If you don't mind.

Cholesterol was about 210, normal BP. I smoked - up till that happened...

There is a family history, but I didn't think about - again, until this happened. But I should have had years left, I'm only 34 man!. All my Uncles had strokes or heart attacks, 2 of 3 died. My Aunt had quad bypass. All in their late 50s, early 60s. My Mom is 58 and has never had anything...maybe she has lucked out so far.

Like the Dr said "It's an unfortunate fluke"

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Cholesterol was about 210, normal BP. I smoked - up till that happened...

There is a family history, but I didn't think about - again, until this happened. But I should have had years left, I'm only 34 man!. All my Uncles had strokes or heart attacks, 2 of 3 died. My Aunt had quad bypass. All in their late 50s, early 60s. My Mom is 58 and has never had anything...maybe she has lucked out so far.

Like the Dr said "It's an unfortunate fluke"

On the good side, your descriptions of an angioplasty with stent suggests your arteries weren't so clogged, typically just watchful waiting is needed, and healthier habits to lower your overall risk.

Without the diving, an attack could have happened when you were older, and probably the arteries would have been more clogged. So, in one way the angina on the dive was fortunate as you found the status of the arteries early and should be able to have a long diving career ahead of you.

...for relating a difficult personal event, such testamonials do more for public education than most anything else.

A suggestion; could this story be posted in the "Basic Scuba Discussions" section? I'm not sure how many board members peruse the Dive Medicine section regularly & this story is too important not to receive wider exposure.

Thanks again for your story.

Live long & prosper,
D.S.D.

my husband had a similar experience only not while diving. It was the middle of the night and I woke up to him getting dressed in order to drive himself to the hospital. I was very angry with him and said NO - I will call an ambulance or drive you.
We left the kids in bed sleeping and I drove him ( I went through every red light). After much testing the Doctor said it was a result of eating natchos with salsa too late at night. (Can you believe this) I was skeptical and bugged my husband for weeks to go and see his doctor - which he never did. He seems fine now but I still tell him from time to time that he should go for a full check-up (He has high cholesterol also).
I see these events as "wake-up" calls. Your lucky once but maybe not the second time.
It sounds like you're making some positive life changes which is very good.
Thank you for sharing your story and I'm very happy you had such a positive outcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom