A Couple of my big kills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very presentable fish !

Interesting story on sticking the AJ.

In times past the divers in your area used "Louisiana riding rigs" - a short piece of Poylpro line which the diver held on while riding the fish in out - over and under the rigs - heavy duty protective clothing complete with a foot ball helmet completed the costume.

It is assumed this sort of rigging activity is no longer practiced.

It is also noted all the equipment displayed in the pictures appears to be show room new...new fish stringer, new wet suit new tanks etc (but a grey haired diver ! Ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Almost 30 years ago there was a board titled "Free dive list."

Seventeen years ago, 2000 they organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free dive Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing. The 50 or so fathers came from all points of the globe for this last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, Allan (Omar) Wood and my self

In honor of the event and the Fathers posted the following on the Free Dive List:

"We Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing have been honored as pioneer participants in a noble sport where one matches their skill in a very hostile environment with that of his finny adversary in an activity that has become internationally known as "Spearfishing."

Spearfish with great dignity and pride in this the noblest of all man's activities, but with restraint and selective spearfishing rather than wholesale slaughter, for with every activity there is a Beginning; a Middle; and an End............"

We the "Fathers" of this great activity were honored to have been a participant in the Beginning, we are some where in the Middle and if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last seventeen years ~~ One by one they have passed on and are now spearfishing on that big reef in the sky.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the Fathers was Art Pinder, You may want to read his obituary on this board in "Passings" Art Pinder, King of sling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once again a big congratulations for very presentable fish and a great spearing story-- eagerly looking forward to your future posts.

SAM

Last edited:
Thanks Sam. Yea, everything on the boat is a lot newer than me! :) I'm 61 and thank God everyday I'm still strong enough to hunt fish like this at 135 ft. Believe me, I know how fortunate I am. We are really gonna try to take some really big Red Snapper and hopefully some more AJ's. Very short season on them so the weather will really dictate. this summer. Will post pics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom