a couple of sms 50 bungee questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an emergency I would have disconnected it and worry about potential equipment damage later...this is a different situation from routinely connecting/disconnecting on entry and exit on a shore dive....

Does anyone really remember every item in their OW experience?

I am a professional educator by trade. In education, we teach as well as we can, but we never expect students to remember 100% of what they were taught.

I can't guarantee that every student was taught to disconnect the inflator hose. I am pretty sure it was skipped in my own instruction, along with a number of other requirements. But I can't be positive. I don't have 100% perfect recall of everything I was ever taught in my life.

In an emergency I would have disconnected it and worry about potential equipment damage later...this is a different situation from routinely connecting/disconnecting on entry and exit on a shore dive....

So, you'd rely on a hypothetical solution - a skill you'd never practiced, ever.... to be used in a very time-critical emergency?

It's an important point to consider. Preparation for emergencies... contingency skills... have to be practiced in order to be valid and relied upon.

1998. Disconnect LPI underwater and reconnect was IIRC talked about but I don't recall doing it in OW.

However I do it every SM shore dive that I do, or if I don tanks hung on a line off the boat. The only exception is in winter diving, where my current best practice is to orally inflate the wing, not connect the LPI to prevent inflator hose freeflow.

YYMV

I agree 100% DevonDiver....this is clearly a deficiency on my part that must be corrected. Thanks for the input shoredivr....

1998. Disconnect LPI underwater and reconnect was IIRC talked about but I don't recall doing it in OW.
In PADI instruction, it is done during the pool sessions, specifically in CW #2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom