A couple pony questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike-
If you're considering an AL30, I would highly recommend you just go for the AL40 instead. They aren't noticeably larger in the water, and they are more popular for deco bottles. This means even if you don't want to ever deco, they are likely more available, and easier to resell if you decide you don't want it.

Five minutes to deal with a problem by yourself at 100' is pretty conservative. A 60fpm ascent with no safety stop is pretty liberal.

I have taken photos with a slung AL50 before (about the size of an AL80 just shorter). It doesn't get in the way most of the time. When I'm trying to get in to take a picture of something really small, I just take it off, and set it on a sandy part of the reef. You can also nose clip the bottle to your hip, and it rides completely out of your way, especially if it isn't completely full. Take a look at my avatar. This would be another good reason to go with an AL40 and just fill it to 2000psi or so.

Tom

Mike, trying out the various configurations is your best option. I started with and still use a 19cf, and I do one accent from 100ft with it each year as a "test" to ensure it remains the right bottle for my needs. Admittedly, 'm probably less conservative than others here as in that I will ignore the safety stop... if I'm on my pony, lack of air is my greatest threat and I'm going directly to the surface as a safe rate.

What has changed is how I mount the bottle. I started with a back mount and switched rather quickly to slinging the bottle. As others have said you really won't notice the bottle while diving. I have three issues with the back mounting:
1) On some dive boats there wasn't room on the tank racks when the pony was mounted
2) Couldn't hand it off to a buddy once where the conditions made it a reasonable
3) With my SCR, slinging it is a better balance.

I'm diving with a Ikelite housing, 8" dome and multiple video lights... like I said you won't notice the sling.

Hi Mike,
If diving with a single cylinder and a pony, I sidemount the pony. It's simple enough to set up and you get all the advantages of a slung unit, but it disappears entirely when not being used. I can easily use a 45 pony, and not even know it's there (unless I need it) All you need is a waist "D" ring, a bit of bungee and a sling kit such as that offered by Dive Rite. (you can also make your own sling) I've sidemounted LP 95's this way, so a pony should present no problems.
Take care,
George

I sling an al40 and it really does not interfere with my photography. My camera rig (ikelite housing 6" dome and ds125) is more of a weight / balance issue than the tank. On a boat, is a bit of a pain at times, due not to diameter but length as it sticks out from under the seat/bench. I will try the prior idea of unfastening the top end and letting it dangle up when I want to slither on the bottom for a particular shot.

I like the extra air capacity and ability to use it for deco when appropriate. Plus you should have air to spare for a "new found friend" if the situation arises.

My unintended introduction to solo diving was last summer when my wife (normal dive buddy) was not to dive. I went on a boat for a 125' wreck dive and got "paired up" with a couple of inattentive / inexpeirenced buddies. I was on my own as well as trying to keep them safe. It was an intersting experience, but with adverse conditions it would have gotten a bit too interesting for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom