A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexunderpressure

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Dear friends,

I am a diving intructor in Cozumel, I am deeply distressed as the goverment is planning erecting 114 power producing wind mills on the east side of the island to feed the resorts in the riviera maya.

Those windmills, the roads needed to service them and the general infrastructure needed will destroy 20% of the jungles of our island.

These mills impliy the building about 120 miles of highway, and destroying 6000 hectares (roughly 6000 football fields).

The government has tried to keep this quiet, but hasn´t been able to.

We are trying to spread the word, we need all the help we can as the erection of those mills will destroy this paradise.

The habitat for hundreds of endemic species will be anihiliated, the cave water system will be disrupted by the contruction of the foundations for the mills.

PLEASE!! spread the word as this paradise may be lost in the very near future.

to learn more go to No al Parque Eólico Cozumel | Facebook

It´s in Spanish, but you might get an idea,

let´s save this paradise, let´s save that island that we love.

thank you, my fellow divers,

Alex

deja vu all over again , sounds like the cries when the cruise ship pier was installed on Paradise Reef almost twenty years ago , even a young Kennedy could not stop the corporate greed , good luck , with the power of the internet you just may have a chance but knowing the way Mexican Government operates ... do not hold breathe

This will make the cruise ships pale in the kind of destruction it will bring, spread the word.

This will make the cruise ships pale in the kind of destruction it will bring, spread the word.

I have dive buddies who brought their own compressors to dive Coz. Still a great place to dive, but not quite what it was 45 years ago. You have a job based on their work.

BTW, welcome to the "green energy" revolution. Great concept till it drops in your backyard.

Sad to hear. It seems to happen all over. Destroy the beauty to provide luxury conditions for the wealthy or unknowing. I would rather stay in a small hotel with a fan and eat the the local restaurants so I can enjoy a diving a pristine reef than stay in a huge air conditioned hotel serving a lavish breakfast every morning. I don't know about others, but I go to dive not lounge at the pool.

Lol. Another example of the unintended consequences of the renewable energy crowd. Mexico has ample fossil fuels to power conventional electrical generataion facilities...

Like so many environmental issues I suspect there is a lot more BS being spread around than real facts. I think you need to do some more research, the numbers just don't add up. The average windmill- at least the ones I have seen on Bonaire take maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre/football field each. An average wind mill will require about 1/2 to 3/4 a football field but by your numbers you claim it will need a little over 52 football fields per windmill, something is way off. The road requirement also does not make sense, the placement would be over a mile apart (120 miles/114 wind mills) and good business would place them near existing roads anyway. Granted the windmills will require some substation and transmission facilities but those are not that much either, most of the land could (most likely would) be on existing roadway right-a-way. Only 3 or 4 subs would be needed, those will take less than an acre each.
I an not a big green power fan because in most cases it simply does not make economic or environmental sense but there are places where is does and Coz would appear to me to be a good example. Bonaire has recently installed a bunch of windmills and according to the locals, they provide 50% of the islands power on a continuing basis and up to 75% on good days. A perfect example of well used green power. Maybe before going off halfcocked, it would be wise to look into an existing example of a similar facility and see what the real impact is.......and then again, where do you propose to put the diesel or coal generators if you don't want the wind mills?

Some of the mills will be 94 meters high, some will be 101 according to the reports of ambience impact. The foundations will get deep enough to reach the water. That is the only water we have.

3000 aditional ppl will have to come here to operate them.

Cozumel has only one little road in the est side, so a big one is being built for the transportation of the mills, and aditional roads will be needed to reach what they call sub stations and storage facilities for oil and whatever parts the mills need.

It´s not the windmills in themselves that will take up 6000 football fields, it´s the whole project, roads, warehouses etc.

The power wont be for Cozumel, as in Bonaire, it is for the riviera maya. We wont even have a reduction on our power bills.

It´s not gonna be good. Check the areas to be destroyed on the map.

I dont say green energy is not good, but not in Cozumel.

mexico power group.jpg

Why don't they place the windmills on the mainland?

Again, your numbers don't make sence. 3000 people to operate them, no way, that is more than is needed for a large fossil or nuclear plant. Several hunderd to build them at most, who leave once the project is done and maybe 10 to 20 to maintain them, good non-tourist jobs for locals. Maintance and material storage will be a small footprint, one that could be located at the current power plant. Foundations into the water table are no big deal, this is just concrete and again a relatively small amount compaired to the entire area. An extra meter or so of road widening is not much impact and the upgraded roads will be a good thing for the locals as well. As for ambience, windmills are a lot less obtrusive IMO than a bunch of diesel generators or for that matter a hotel. Do you by any chance have a useful copy of the map you attached. That one is so small, none of the details or informatoin can be seen.

Back
Top Bottom