The bends in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This incident happened in November 2014. I have not posted before now, but it's bothering me and I would like to get a perspective from the group.

My family and I (wife, 2 children 13 and 11) spent a week in Cozumel enjoying a wonderful time diving, relaxing and having fun in paradise. One day about halfway through our trip we returned from the morning dive and had a light lunch and were lounging by the pool. There was a training class going on at the time, and a couple of instructors were in the general area. Across the patio there was a couple in their mid-to-late 50's drinking a couple beers and lounging on the chairs. All of a sudden, the man got up and approached his wife and was talking to her in a concerned voice. She tried to stand up and could not do so without his assistance. We were watching the two of them heading to the hotel lobby, and my wife asked me to go and see if they needed any help. I asked the man if she was OK, and he indicated that his wife was not feeling well. I asked if she had been diving, and he said yes. Being a rescue diver, I knew that she needed oxygen. So I hurried over to the dive shop and explained to them what is going on, and asked them to administer oxygen. They pulled out their kit but left it on the counter, saying they needed the managers permission to use it. I went back to the lobby, and told the man his wife needed oxygen. I also told him to take her dive computer with them to the hospital (the front desk staff had called an ambulance).

Minutes passed and no oxygen was being administered. I approached the instructor who was still somewhat teaching the class and told her that the woman needs oxygen. She said something to the effect that they are getting it, and didn't really stop what she was doing, although she was looking up frequently to see what was going on in the lobby. I went back to the husband and told him again that his wife needs oxygen and that he should insist that the shop administers it.

It took the ambulance a good 15-20 minutes to arrive. As the ambulance was pulling up to the hotel, the instructor I was talking to dropped what she was doing and RAN to the dive shop, grabbed the oxygen kit and proceeded to ready the kit just as the paramedics stepped foot in the lobby. She was cut just short of cracking open the oxygen bottle. At that point the paramedics took over and carted her to the ambulance and they left for the hospital.

Later that evening we got word that she indeed got bent. I shared my story with management the same evening and they seemed aloof in their response as to why oxygen was not administered by the shop.

Had it been my wife or children, I would have grabbed the kit and administered oxygen myself (I am certified).

Does this seem right? Were they worried about liability? Is oxygen hard to come by on the island? I just don't get it.

It will be difficult for anyone on SB to explain the decisions made by the people at the shop, as you describe. But some DCS symptoms are a little easier to distinguish from symptoms of other, non-dive related, health problems. The sooner the symptoms develop post-dive, the more likely they are to be DCS related. It could have been that the people at the shop considered the length of time between the victim's diving (hours?) and the onset of symptoms, in addition to other factors (age?) and decided that calling the ambulance was sufficient.

With that said, I agree with you that she should have been given the oxygen. There is no downside to breathing it... the worst that happens is that it has no effect on the symptoms. The only possible argument for not letting her have it is the hassle of refilling the cylinder afterward (which seems to have been an issue, considering their comment that they needed the "manager's" permission to use it.)

Were they worried about liability? Welcome to Mexico. I'll leave it at that.

May I ask, at which resort you were staying?
Sorry welder, I'd rather not say. We really love the place and will continue to stay there. I will say it is a place that is very popular with members on this board.

It will be difficult for anyone on SB to explain the decisions made by the people at the shop, as you describe. But some DCS symptoms are a little easier to distinguish from symptoms of other, non-dive related, health problems. The sooner the symptoms develop post-dive, the more likely they are to be DCS related. It could have been that the people at the shop considered the length of time between the victim's diving (hours?) and the onset of symptoms, in addition to other factors (age?) and decided that calling the ambulance was sufficient.

With that said, I agree with you that she should have been given the oxygen. There is no downside to breathing it... the worst that happens is that it has no effect on the symptoms. The only possible argument for not letting her have it is the hassle of refilling the cylinder afterward (which seems to have been an issue, considering their comment that they needed the "manager's" permission to use it.)

Were they worried about liability? Welcome to Mexico. I'll leave it at that.

Yle, that's what I remember from my training. Oxygen cannot harm anything. What good is it having an oxygen kit if you're not going to use it on bent (or potentially bent) divers? Just to meet a PADI requirement?

Sounds to me like the couple must have been using some other dive op.

Hmm... oxygen left on the counter... everybody standing around afraid to do anything without permission... I think I'd have just taken that oxygen to the woman and put it on her, what harm would have been done, piss off some jerk at the counter?

I was badly seasick on the boat one day in Coz and they insisted on giving me oxygen. I told them I was just seasick but I think they wanted to see if the symptoms improved. I stayed seasick and kept diving.

Mexican liability laws, especially with respect to good Samaritan protection, are different from the US. While I am not TOTALLY conversant with them, I suspect that may have been a factor.

I would also wonder if they needed permission from a manager to administer the oxygen because she wasn't a customer at the dive shop. The shop could be a separate entity from the hotel, and she may have gone diving with a completely different shop. I could see there being an issue (liability or otherwise) with them administering 02 to a random hotel guest who wasn't a customer of theirs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom