A day at Portage and lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I drove up to Portage Quarry today and I learned some valuable lessons.

One, don't stay up until way after midnight working on a project, then get up at three to load the truck with gear for a five and a half hour drive to go diving. We left the house at 5 AM and drove nonstop to Portage, arriving at almost eleven. I was already tired before I even started to get ready to make my first dive.

I had originally intended to take my camper to Portage and stay the entire weekend, but my film project is finally coming to fruition and I have a meeting I must attend tomorrow (Sunday) and my wife has to work.

Speaking of the first dive, it was a disaster. My US Divers Pacifica, for which I paid a premium price, leaked like a sieve and I had to constantly clear it. One of my TUSA open heel fins came off and I had to go back to retrieve it. My new back zip wetsuit, which I had previously thought fit me rather well, was too tight around the neck and nearly choked me to death. I was following Simonbeans, Luis and a couple others around as they took some pics, feeling as if I just couldn't get enough air. My DA Aquamaster was working perfectly, as usual, and was giving me all the air I demanded, but it just didn't seem enough. I burned through a 72 in record time and had to leave the others and return to the surface. When I got out of the water, I couldn't get that wetsuit off fast enough. It took me several minutes to recover. I bought that wetsuit because the one I bought last year no longer fits me. I've lost 35 pounds and it is now too big for me.

On top of all that, I was trying out my horse collar BC for its first real test (I hadn't actually used it before. It was there mostly to conform to the rules at places like Twin Quarries that demand that divers have a BC) and, sad to say, it failed. It was difficult to clear it of all the air trapped in the neck area and I once it was empty, I just left it that way. Also, it was a source of some major drag that slowed me down horrendously. I've worn it before on shallow dives in the river and a couple of times at the lake, but I'd never actually used it for anything but surface flotation, which it is good at supplying, but little else. In the not too distant past, I championed the horse collar as a viable option for divers who do not like jacket style BCs. No more. I have seen the error of my ways.

I also had trouble with an old problem that others have had: The straps on my USD backpack kept sliding around and simply would not stay put. Simonbeans even helped me tighten them up, but they still slid off my shoulders. Before our next dive, he kindly made me a very nice chest strap that cured the problem once and for all, but invited a new problem, courtesy of that accursed horse collar. Because of the way it's made, the horse collar has to go on before anything else. Of course, that meant that I then had to fasten the chest strap by trying to reach under the BC and that was not an easy task.

For the second dive, I used my old wetsuit and even though it is loose on me now, I was rather comfortable diving in it. But by the time I got the wetsuit, weight belt and horse collar, tank and everything else all in place, I was already tired and had to rest for a couple of minutes before getting into the water. But this time, I could breathe easily and, once I convinced that delinquent horse collar to mind its manners, I was able to finally able to enjoy diving. I just followed the guys around and watched them take their photos. We stayed down 42 minutes according to Simonbeans' computer. By my reckoning with my watch, I counted 44 minutes but that was no doubt because I had started the stop watch function before I went into the water. I breathed my tank down until the J valve kicked in and I signaled the others that I had to go. It was already near the end of the dive, so I left just a few minutes before the rest.

I really should have forgotten the wetsuit and BC and just dived with my tank, fins, mask and snorkel like I have for many years. The water was nice and warm and even the temp below the first thermocline was just cool enough to be refreshing. I don't usually need any weight with only a steel 72, and am very close to perfect buoyancy. But I have only recently (within the last year) started using a wetsuit and BC and I am wanting to figure them out. I should've known better. The horse collar, it turns out, was a poor choice. I chose it because I had tried jacket style BCs and didn't like them. I thought, mistakenly, that a horse collar would work and better fit into my style of diving while fulfilling the requirements of dive ops. And, for a while, I thought I was right. But, as I said before, I never actually tried to use it as a buoyancy compensator until today. If I had tried one out before I bought one, things would've been very different. They are simply too much work, both in and out of the water.

After the second dive, I talked to Simonbeans and Luis about it and they both suggested I try BP/W. Luis showed me his modified wing and I have to admit, I like the idea. No uncomfortable jacket BC or cumbersome, drag-inducing horse collar to make life harder. To be honest, I had not considered myself to be a candidate for a BP/W. That has now changed. I am now in the market for one. I would like to find one that would allow me to use my vintage back packs with metal bands.

I'm going to my friend's LDS this week to find a two-piece wetsuit that will fit me better and be easier to get on. One piece jumpsuits are just too much for this old man, I'm learning.

For years, I was stubbornly set in my ways and swore I'd never change. I guess it's time to eat a little crow and admit that my needs, and physical abilies, have changed with the passage of time. Are you guys sitting down? I'm even considering (shudder) getting an inexpensive computer. Yeah. Hell justfroze over and the Devil has a great deal on popsicles.

Most of my diving over the years has been done solo with a dive with a friend interspersed only occasionally. I was once completely content to dive solo and spend time sitting on the bottom somewhere, alone with the fishes or slowly cruising along. But I find I have grown tired of diving alone and want the company of other divers. The two dives I made today, just following the guys around, were enjoyable and fulfilling, despite the problems borne of my own, poor choices.

This is not to say that I am going to go the tech route. Huh-uh. I will still use my DAAM and my old single hose regs without octos. This is simply because I like them and they work for me. But I am getting a bit lazy in my old age and the convenience of a BP/W is looking good to me now.

Over the past couple of decades, I have developed arthritis in my hips and knees as well as degenerative disc disease in my lower back. This doesn't affect my movement underwater, though, and I actually feel more comfortable there. What it does do is dictate how I get into the water in the first place. Sometimes this can be embarrassing, but it's something I have to live with. My doctor has cautioned me against entries like the giant stride, due to the condition of my lower back. Likewise with heavy lifting. Otherwise, she approves of my diving as a useful activity.

I want to sincerely thank Simonbeans, Luis, Herman and the others who so graciously came to my assistance on what has to be one of the most SNAFU days I've had in quite awhile. These guys were terrific and I hope to be able to return the favor someday. Also, I am honored to consider these guys my friends and hope I can dive with them under better circumstances soon.

Also, Simonbeans gently chided me about my smoking habit. I take no offense at this. The man is absolutely right. I know quitting would greatly improve my enjoyment of diving. I just wish I had the wiilpower to do it.

Oh. the surface temp of Portage was 80 and the temp below the first thermocline was 72. Visibility was about 20 feet. I like the place and will go back as soon as I can.

I know you won't listen to me. I would have been at Portage save for a broken leg and no diving for 6 months (or more:(), but, that aside, here is the deal. Whenever you have new equipment or are going to use equipment in a different configuration or combination that you have not used before you really need to get in a pool with it and play around, especially if you got it on eBait. Most YMCA will let you in during free swims and Y memberships are very cheap but as well some universities, health clubs etc will work with you if you have a membership or even your lds.

It is very important to test yourself and gear in a pool before any grand adventure be it your going to Portage or like my wife and I just came back from GC, you bet I had the gear we were taking and her and her gear and me in the Y pool, and this despite the fact both of us combined have 74 years as divers and most of her gear is brand new. Better to get it all trimmed out and function checked in a pool than out on the dive boat and miss a dive or not enjoy it because something does not work.

A wetsuit does add a minor complication, suit compression and a little more weight, no big deal, patience required only.

A horsecollar BC, well, the idea is to get your weighting such that no more than a puff or two of air are in the BC, be it a wing, horsecollar or jacket, that is one of the biggest distinctions of a vintage diver, we don't rely on a BC even if we have one. Your lungs are your BC, this requires breath control.

The wing/BP thing, I have been diving a wing/BP since about 1976ish. I only recently got to experience a modern vest. A wing/BP is not vintage and they are not a magic pill to make everything OK. I basically don't like anything on my chest of any sort, it is a phobia of mine to have something pressing on my chest, especially sternum straps but sometimes even just the horsecollar is enough to make me freak a little. In any case, that is why I dive a BP/wing, nothing in front of me or against my chest.

Anyways, sounds like you had fun, learned some new things, got some good pointers from the pros at vintage diving, congrats on your semi :wink: successful entry to vintage diving.

Smoking cigarettes, please stop that, do it for yourself.

On the computer, get a wrist model, consider getting a Nitrox capable unit. BTW, Scubatoys has a great deal on the Aeris XR1 air only, XR2, Nitrox capable) usually, under a 150 dollars. I have three computers, bought one of the XR1 as a back up, then one for my wife and one for me. I still track my dives in my head and with the tables but the computer does take the pressure off on multiple days of diving where I am concentrating on my photography, like this instead of constantly running my mental deco program in the background:

IMG_0492_edited-1.jpg

You mentioned TUSA fins, I am not much of a fan of TUSA gear in general, it is not vintage and as modern gear goes there is better available though they do have nice masks from time to time.

Good luck, have fun.

N

Nemrod,
This was not my intro to vintage diving. On the contrary, my difficulties come from the addition of any equipment beyond my tank, regulator, fins, mask and snorkel. With my old, customary setup, I need no weight or maybe a couple of pounds of lead, though I will go to 5 pounds if I want to be able to plant myself on the bottom a bit more firmly. Even at Portage, my problem wasn't that I was over-weighted. I was actually a bit too light to compensate adequately for the air trapped in the upper area of the horse collar. Both the dump valve and the hose are located below the upper, highest part of the BC, behind my neck, and air simply cannot escape unless I contort myself into an odd, impractical position.

Without the horse collar, both of my wetsuits are fine with 10 pounds on my belt. If I had used a bit of common sense, I would've thrown the horse collar onto the bank and that would've been that. When I have used it before, it has been primarily to satisfy the BC requirements at places like Twin Quarries or with the op up at Summersville. Then, I just didn't inflate it while underwater, though it needed two more pounds of weight even then.

My dives so far this summer have been in the warm water of the Ohio River and, with one exception, I have dived my old, customary way with only my tank and DAAM. I should've done that at Portage.

At Portage, I did something I hadn't done before and inflated the horse collar on the surface before the dive and even when the last bubble had gone out the hose, there was that last bit of air trapped behind my neck and I was still too light. I got down to depth by powering my way down with fins. But as soon as I would swim up a few feet, the air would expand and I would find myself neutral and floating at a depth of ten feet. I could swim up to the surface, and could then sink back down to 10 ft. I would then swim down and once I was below 20, I was once more in control. Sort of. A bump or two of air and I was neutral again. But only for that depth. I would dump the air in the BC before swimming up, but that last bit of trapped air messed things up. I could've added another couple of pounds to compensate, I suppose, but I wanted to keep my weight belt light as possible. I had 14 pounds on it as it was. I believe that if I had been wearing a wing, instead, I would've been just fine. In any case, that horse collar is history. It just isn't what I want or need.

My attitude toward BCs in general is that they are not necessary but a convenience. If I had only had the sense God gave a goose, I would have realized that the design of a horse collar is anything but convenient. My reason for choosing that style in the first place was so that I could continue to use my back packs and still have a BC where it was required.

They say that old habits die hard and I have proven the adage. I kept trying to swim the carefree way I always have without wetsuit or BC and it doesn't work. At least not with my horse collar. You and others on this board advised me not to get it in the first place. I should've listened.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the thing of having something on my chest, though I don't mind the chest strap as long as I can get to it.

My problems at Portage were of my own making, caused by my own shortsightedness. One thing I did wrong, and I freely admit it, was working late Friday night and not getting enough rest before driving 300 miles to dive in unfamiliar waters. I was already tired when I tried to dive and that exacerbated what should've been only a minor inconvenience.

My new wetsuit fit me just right except for the rubber skin seal around my neck. This morning, I trimmed some of it off and the strangling sensation has been eliminated. I went over to the river and with just ten pounds of lead, a steel 72 and my Aquarius, it worked like a charm.

But I do want to have a BC for the convenience, just not a horse collar. If I have to, I'll go with a jacket, but I really like the idea of having a wing behind me and out of the way.

They say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But if this old dog is going to continue diving, he's going to have to learn some new tricks. I can't handle cold water like I did when I was a kid, so a wetsuit is becoming a necessity. That, in itself, is no problem. My new one is just a 3/2, so it doesn't compress much or really affect buoyancy at varying depths. A couple of five pound weights is all that is needed. It leaves me slightly negative with a full tank and and allows me full control during the dive. What I need is a BC that will allow me to dive as I am accustomed to diving while still being there if I want it. A wing appears to fill that requirement.

I still don't feel that I need a computer to dive my way, which has been the old square profile. But as I said in my post, I'm tired of diving solo and many people these days seem to be using computers. So, as I don't want to be a drag on any future dive buddies, I think I'll get an inexpensive one. The model you mentioned happens to be the one I've been considering.

Just think of me as the old geezer who has been driving a Model T for his whole life and has become weary of being passed up on the freeway.

My preference for diving my DAAM or other old regs has nothing to do with vintage diving, per se. I really don't care if I look as if I just slipped through a time warp from 1965. Hell, I've been diving that way all my life. I really don't think of it as vintage diving. It's just what I've always done. I simply, honestly prefer the older regs to the newer models. This vintage diving thing is not really what I'm trying to accomplish. I can already do that. It's really simple. My task now is to add to my old skills by learning a new set to match the newer equipment. I will dive whatever works for me and that will, most likely, be an eclectic mixture of old and new.

I like the TUSA Liberators I was using, I just didn't have the heel strap tight enough on one foot. That was no big deal. I felt it come off, turned around, grabbed it, stuck it back on and tightened it up. I only mentioned it because it was just one more event in a comedy of errors. None of the things that went wrong were dangerous or life threatening and I wasn't in any real trouble at any time. It was just a series of nuisances that combined to plague me. One disappointment is my new USD Pacifica mask. I have used it all summer and it worked great until now. It leaks badly and keeps me busy clearing it. I looked at it this morning and the valve in the purge has somehow become slightly warped and lets water in. That should be easy to fix, but I can't understand what caused it. I don't store my gear in the garage or anything. It's all kept in the house, so it hasn't been subjected to heat. For my second dive at Portage, I just switched back to my old standby, one of my oval masks.

If I had been alone, I would have just planted myself on the bottom and played with the fish until my air was gone. But that kind of diving no longer satisfies me. After all these years, I now want to move on to more challenging and interesting types of diving. At present, though, I'm not interested in tech or specialty diving. I just want to go to some new places and dive with new people. To do that, I have to crawl out of my hermit's cave and rejoin the world.

By the way, I apologize for yanking your chain about the cheater bar. I was in peevish mood the other day. I actually do like the thing and I am aware of its shortcomings. I like it because I don't need a permanent set of doubles right now and I don't dive doubles that much, so I don't want a set of tanks sitting around unused for weeks or months at a time. The cheater bar lets me use the tanks as singles but put them together as doubles if I need them without emptying the tanks and switching to a manifold. If I decide to keep a permanent set of doubles, I'll get a center post manifold. I can also configure them as ID if the occasion warrants it. It's the versatility of the cheater bar that I like. It does what I need for right now. I just dive with the idea that I might have to deal with a possible failure. That hasn't happened yet, though. It has been behaving itself.

Oh, by the way, do you know a good way to remove the vinyl coating from a tank? I got some 72s from Simonbeans that have damaged vinyl and I want to strip them down and galvanize them.

Oh, by the way, do you know a good way to remove the vinyl coating from a tank? I got some 72s from Simonbeans that have damaged vinyl and I want to strip them down and galvanize them.

William,
I've had days like that in the past few years........I understand how frustrated you felt.

My twin voits had the vinyl coating on them and had many scars down to the metal and rust showing...........I used a method that was recomended to me for removing the plastic coating of a rifle stock years ago........

A piece of sharp broken glass, IE: from a coke bottle preferably. You will need to chose the piece or pieces you want to use, cover the edges your hands will be working with duck tape, put the tank between your legs and pull toward yourself.........amazingly it works very easy.

I tried a butcher knife first, but the blade dulls pretty fast........

Oldmossback

Edited: I forgot to add, I had them nickel plated, but since I only buffed them with sand paper and the plater did not polish this out, the nickel only plated the high points of the steel.........so I finally just cold galvanized them, then painted........the local galvanizer here would not do them since I only wanted the outside done.......

Been diving these for 22 years this way.........their due for another paint job now.

Last edited:
Thanks, OM.

I'll try that.

Yeah, I had been looking forward to going to Portage since back in the spring and it seemed that the Fates were against me. I am in pre-production for a short film I am directing and my producer has been making a lot of demands on my time the past few weeks. We worked until after midnight Friday and I was exhausted by the time I finally got to Portage. I wasn't thinking the way I should have been and that, in itself, is a lesson we can all afford to learn. That was a case of a dive needing to be thumbed before it ever started. But, there's a silver lining to every dark cloud. I now see that it's time for me to move in a different direction in my diving.

Oh, and that matter we discussed the other day, if you still have that thing next month, I want it. I may not use it right away, but I'm sure I will eventually and I don't want to have to look for one when I need it.

Hi Paladin,

Thanks for the very candid report and observations.

I attended the Legends event and greatly enjoyed the presentations. Bob Croft was terrific Saturday night! Robert Croft (diver) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All in all a wonderful tip of the hat to the old timers of SCUBA....Mike Nelson would have been proud!

I will plan to make this a yearly event.

Me, too. But next year, I will not let anything get in my way of staying the whole weekend. Driving 300 miles and then trying to dive is a bad idea. It won't happen again!

Thanks, Allan! Man, I gotta get me a shorter inflator hose!:D

I like the pic. I think I'll use it as my new avatar!

Last edited:
Also, Simonbeans gently chided me about my smoking habit. I take no offense at this. The man is absolutely right. I know quitting would greatly improve my enjoyment of diving. I just wish I had the wiilpower to do it./QUOTE]

Paladin954, one word on this smoking deal, CHANTIX. Makes the cig takes like @ss and blocks the brain from getting nicotine. The more you smoke the less you like it. I was smoking 40 cigs per day DRUM brand handrolled no filter. One month on Chantix and I haven't touch a cig in over a year.

Sooner or later we all end up in the present! I have a computer now and I'm getting a SSBP/W when I can. Some of my gear is vintage, I use it because it works and I haven't found anything better not because it's vintage. I bought a new wetsuit a two piece henderson, the jacket has shorts instead of a beaver tail, the bottoms are farmer style. I love my stl 72's and have recently doubled them up for use as indpendent doubles.

Some of the old gear is hard to beat, some of it however should be hanging in a museum. Diving with both old and new we get the best of both.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom