A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the port ended up closed again today. Oh well, did some online shopping for a new CPR manikin. I'm hoping to teach some Emergency First Response courses in the next little while, and wont have to do many in order for it to pay for itself. Also made some arrangements with a divemaster student who will be coming down to train with me next month. I'm looking forward to that, I believe he is taking his training very seriously.

Windfinder looks better for tomorrow. It's still cold, but the wind seems to have calmed down at my house, and should be coming in from the east by tomorrow. So, back at it tomorrow leading a group on our 11am boat. It's always a crap shoot. We get people from the mainland resorts coming over for a day of diving, so we pick them up at the ferry, gear them up, and take them for a two tank trip. You often have very little idea of who you are dealing with until their heads go under, then it's a quick appraisal of who is going to need an "extra eye" on them. Luckily, I really like the other divemaster that will be on the boat with me. He is very safety conscious, and it makes it so much easier when we both share the same philosophies about what we are there to do.

Hear's to a good day of diving in the morning,
Matthew

Well, it was an interesting day. Made arrangements to do an oxygen provider course for all the dive shop staff, boat captains, and hotel desk staff. Should be interesting trying to do it for a bunch of spanish speakers with the help of an interpreter. Hats off to my boss for encouraging the course, and paying for the associated costs. It shows a commitment to quality and safety that I think is commendable and needs to be recognized.

So the dive trip today was......
Well it started out with some frantic moments for a few divers. One who drastically underestimated her weight needs and was struggling at the surface. A couple of ear issues, and a fair bit of current later I ended up giving virtually all my weight away and got the group organized. I also managed to loose my weight pocket with my only remaining weight in it. When it rains it pours. Got through the dive and did un upside down 3 minute safety stop finning to stay down. Next dive was smooth as silk. Another day at the office : )

Last edited:
Cool beans, thanks for the stories. Off to bed to dream of being in Cozumel on Monday WEPA!

I like this thread..............would hate to end up as one of your stories.............lol

yep, done one of them "upside down safety stops" once.

I lost a weight pouch on my first trip using a new vest with intergrated weights...back on the belt :D

What is that average turnover rate for dive staff in Cozumel?

Not looking for a job - my profession is as a business consultant - so I like to know everything about all businesses that I can find out.

The last time I did an upside-down stop was at the end of a tech dive off Monterey -- didn't realize the tanks I had borrowed had different buoyancy characteristics from the ones I was used to, until it was too late. They aren't fun!

Today was a much easier day. Spent the morning preparing for tomorrows oxygen provider course. I've taught a bunch of them before, however this one will be for a group of spanish speakers. Should be interesting and a fun challenge.

Took out a small group on an afternoon trip today. We were headed to Yucab wall for our first dive when we ran across a pod of 8 or so dolphins just off Paradise reef. We slowed down and had them play in our bow for a few minutes before they headed in another direction. We did our dive and headed back up to Chankanaab for a surface interval and our 2nd dive on the shallows. As we sat there the dolphins appeared again, so the folks on the boat jumped in for a short snorkel with them. People love dolphins!!!!!

What is that average turnover rate for dive staff in Cozumel?

Not looking for a job - my profession is as a business consultant - so I like to know everything about all businesses that I can find out.

Sorry Dan, I don't know the answer to that. I can tell you that at our shop it is not very high. It used to be, before Wilma, that there seemed to be a lot more people working on the island illegally, and the turn over was much higher. At least that's the way it seems from my limited vantage point. These days there seems to be less turn over and less transient divemasters and instructors.

Just my $0.02

Today was a much easier day... As we sat there the dolphins appeared again, so the folks on the boat jumped in for a short snorkel with them. People love dolphins!!!!!

Nice!

THAT'S the way a dolphin enounter should be!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom