A Day late, but no Dollar involved..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by stingray
Fong Chong eh? Never tried it, but with this recommendation, we'll be trying it tonight!
While Fong Chong's normal menu is really really good, the best is to take several friends and get there by 11:00am Saturday or Sunday for Dim Sum! This is one of the few times where sitting by the kitchen is a good thing since the waitresses bring out the carts with the freshly cooked goodies and pass by your table first. And it taked about 1.5 hours before the same thing comes around again.

A definite good feed. (darn, now you made me wipe my chin while typing this!)

mmmm.... dim sum! yum!

I might change my "no lakes" policy to go dive Crater Lake... DOn't you need special permission or something though?

For local diving.... Next Sunday (the 11th) I am leading a dive to Harper's Ferry. This will be a shore dive, and while it is a nice site (I'm told) I don't know if you would want to come here from Oregon to do it :).

Sometime in December I want to go to Hood Canal, that would be worth a drive maybe. Is that where you will be doing your checkouts?

-kate

Originally posted by scubakat
...Sometime in December I want to go to Hood Canal, that would be worth a drive maybe. Is that where you will be doing your checkouts?
-kate

My checkouts are (I had to verify once again.. :)) are in Hood(s?) Canal on the 6th and 7th of December.. When were you planning to go??

...For local diving.... Next Sunday (the 11th) I am leading a dive to Harper's Ferry. This will be a shore dive, and while it is a nice site (I'm told) I don't know if you would want to come here from Oregon to do it :)...

Actually, I think I'm gunna wait until I get my checkout dives in (or at least a few classes) to actually do some diving.. :p (Classes start tomorrow..) I keep hearing that playing in the Pool and diving in the NW are two totally different animals. I'm prepared for the cold, that's not where my concern (not necessarily the word I'm looking for.. maybe focus) is. I'm thinking of currents, stability, buoyancy, and all the other nice factors that are unique to the open water that don't necessarily occur in the swimming pool :mean: I'm gunna sponge as much info from my instructor as possible and have an eagle eye on me so that I nail the basics first, then I'll be going like a mad man...
(Not to mention the 10th is my wife's birthday, and I can't miss that...I'd be gone from this board for a bit.. :p)

Good thinkin' Stingray, for some reason I thought you were going to be finished sooner than that. Is Mrs. Stingray taking classes with you? As for the differences between pool & open water, they are too many to list :0, but you will be fine. Just focus on the skills & drills that your instructor leads you through and the rest will come with time!

So how is it that you are doing your Drysuit Specialty even before you finish your OW?

I haven't set dates for Hood Canal yet, but with holidays & everything I think that it will be mid-month or so... depends on schedules.

-kate

Is Mrs. Stingray taking classes with you?
I'm trying to get her in as soon as possible. I think she wants to wait until I get mine so she can follow me through the course, then I'll help whereever I can.
...So how is it that you are doing your Drysuit Specialty even before you finish your OW?
Well.... :) ... it's like this: I was asked if I was interested in diving in a dry suit for my checkouts (from what I have heard from friends of mine [NAUI and PADI cert] dry suit is the way to dive in the NW) and I said yes! I started a thread earlier on when to get specialties because of a small concern, but basically they told me I have to train to use a dry suit. I don't really wanna freeze :cold: (or minimize as much as possible) so I decided to sign up.

I see... There is one local shop here that offers drysuit training in conjunction with open water class. I do hope that the Mrs can join you in this sport! Have a look at this thread though before you help too much :).

-kate

Good thread! That is a very good point and I do agree with that. We don't know to many people (face-to-face anyhow) that are certified and I was planning to be the guinea pig (so to speak) so she would get an idea of what is involved. She really wants to get into UW photography so she does have the desire, but it is up to her if she wants to do it and when.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom