A decent book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm interested in solo diving, mostly from an academic perspective at this point. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent book that discusses this subject well? I know that Robert Von Maier has his Solo Diving book, but it has decidedly mixed reviews in a couple of different spots. Does anyone have any reccomendations for better books?

Thanks for your help in adance,

Kristopher

Get the Sei solo manual. Better than Von makers by light years.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I had no idea that SEI had a solo course, Jim. Where can I get a copy of the manual? SEI doesn't seem to have caught on up here too much, yet. I can't wait till it does...I'll definitely be taking some classes.

Kristopher

I have only read the SDI Solo Diver Manual and it is fairly concise and complete. I was solo diving long before this course was developed so I can’t give you a good sense of how effective it is for someone who has not given solo a lot of thought before. However, reviews of the SDI course gets fairly high marks — but of course that is highly dependent on the instructor.

BTW, be careful not to order the SDI Solo Manual by Florian Karsch on Amazon… unless you want it in German.

What To Do When Creeped Out Diving By Yourself
by knfmn

and

SCUBA REG MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR Excerpts

Ah, should I get the first or second edition of my book, Knowone? The second edition goes into more details about self-comfort, otherwise known as hugging yourself when you see something big and scary while solo-diving. :D

I do want to get a copy of Scuba Reg maintenance. It looks like a fantastic book.

Kristopher

you're more than welcome to borrow my copy of the SDI solo manual

As for the SEI solo book, there is a local great SEI instructor in MA, Mike DiClemente. His website is Home Page and he can probably help you get the book

That's fantastic, Lewis. Thank you for the link! When are you back in town?

Kristopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom