A Decision to Make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Fiance and I are looking to book a trip over to Bali this September, and have decided to go do 5 nights or so at a dive resort followed by a week in Sanur (from where we could do a trip to Penida if someone can suggest a good operation in the area)
The question is where to go for the diving, we are both newly qualified AOW divers with ~15 dives, but would really like to get some good experiences and pictures while we are in Bali. We had looked at the Alam Anda and Scuba Seraya on the East coast, and the Pondok Sari or Matahari on the West Coast, and could really do with some unbiased advice
Thanks

It is hard for us not to be a little biased as we really love scuba seraya and recommend them highly. The resort is on a black sand beach which offers great critter diving perfect for macro photography and they will take you up to other dive sites by boat such as tulamben.
The basic bungalows are very nice but if you splurge on a villa they are worth it and you can get a massage by the pool in between dives and the restaurant is good.
Just to let you know not much else going on up in that area except diving very quite and laid back.:D

My wife and I stayed at Scuba Seraya in Sep 2008. We loved it. We had our own dive master and they would take us out diving on their boat when ever we wanted to go. Go dive come back hang out by the pool or in the room for surface interval....few hours later go dive again. It is the only place we stayed besides Ubud so I have nothing to compare it against.

Well thats 2 for 2 on Scuba Seraya, sounds like a possible winner.
If anyone could give pros/cons of NE vs NW bali for diving, and the resorts mentioned (or any other suggested!) We would like some comfort but not too extortionate prices for stay or diving (inc equipment rental!), otherwise any suggestions and advice greatfully recieved
Thanks again

Moose--Well first off welcome to SB. Me, I'd put in a vote for Tulamben Wreck Divers. Their villas are also very nice but so are the rooms that are next door to the dive op. If you stay at Seraya you would come over to dive the Liberty wreck in Tulamben anyway I bet, it is the big draw in the neighborhood. Yeah, the beaches at Tulamben are rocks pretty much but if you are going there to dive it won't seriously matter.

Now we also had a great time diving Seraya and they are pretty close by (10 minutes by car?) so I'm not sure you would make a mistake either way. We did TWD in December last year and will go back someday but in general it's hard to go wrong in that region of Bali. (Oh, and you are also fairly near Amed which either dive op can make arrangements for you to dive.)

More to the point, whether you stay in Tulamben or at Seraya you will be able to do dives that match your comfort level as new divers. Just make sure your dive guide knows what you want (ask for Eri if you do TWD!). You don't have to go deep, you don't have to deal with serious currents but you do want to be direct and honest about what feels ok for you both, so let your guide know. The better guides are really good about doing what YOU want. With the right dive op/dive guide you can relax and fully enjoy the great diving the area offers. Dang, I gotta get back there soon! // ww

We did a trip to Bali in fall 2007 and loved it. We started in Menjangen and stayed at the Mimpi. This was the nicest place I've ever stayed. Not cheap but we were very happy there, we considered it a worthwhile splurge. Resort was incredible, diving was spectacular too. If I die and go to heaven, I hope it's almost as nice.

Then we transferred to the Mimpi at Tulamben. The resort there wasn't quite as posh, but the diving made up for it - do not miss the Liberty ship dive.

We also spent a couple days on the east coast, near Panang Bai, for the purpose of taking a boat dive over to Nusa Penida in hopes of diving with the mola molas. That worked out well, too.

Be sure to budget at least a full day in Ubud for topside relaxation.

Bali is great - you will love it.

Hi Mooseman, I had a great time in Bali last Aug. I dove with Aquamarine diving. They took care of the hotel and airport transfers (but I suppose thay all do that). They were very helpful and patient in answering my questions and getting me what I wanted. Don't hesitate to email them. They are not a "resort", just a dive operation, but they know the hotels and different parts of the island pretty well, so they'll get you what you want. (I'll repeat, very helpful via email) I stayed in the Candidasa area and dove from Padangbai and Tulamben (dive guide picked me up every day). If I understand you well when you ask for a dive resort, I can think of only Absolute Scuba who might fit the bill (I think there are a couple more on the north coast, but I didn't make it that far). They operate from Padangbai and have a hotel right there. Candidasa is about 15 minutes away, so I was happy with the "commute". You could stay at Penida if you wanted but the sites are accessible from Padangbai anyway (and also from Sanur I suppose). Candidasa and Padangbai are on the south coast, a little towards the east side. Candisasa is quiet, which is why they put me up there, Sanur is more busy. You may prefer to stay in the Tulamben area for a couple of days - it's an hour or more from Candidasa, but in any case, you must plan on diving there. It can get crowded there, so plan a little. Aquamarine had also recommended the Mimpi as a choice for me, so it's probably a good bet.

As nwflyboy said "Bali is great - you'll love it".

Hope that helps.

We are headed for Bali tonight. Our fifth trip in 5 years. Bali diving is great, it is also a good jumping off point for Komodo, Raja Ampat and the other hot spots. No liveaboard for us this time, not enough time or money. We are starting at Mimpi Menjangan (4 days), then Scuba Seraya (4 days) and finally Sanur for diving out at Nusa Penida. The first 2 hotels have their own diving operations. In Sanur we use Bali International Diving Professionals. We've used them every time in Bali and they are excellent. I booked the trip through Escapes Unlimited. It did not include diving. Hope you have a great trip. The Balinese are wonderful folks as well.

We are headed for Bali tonight. Our fifth trip in 5 years. Bali diving is great, it is also a good jumping off point for Komodo, Raja Ampat and the other hot spots. No liveaboard for us this time, not enough time or money. We are starting at Mimpi Menjangan...

And I am now jealous.

Have a great time. No doubt you will.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, we have decided now on a split stay between Scuba Seraya and Sanur (probably the Puri Santrian). Just need to get it all booked up now. Looking forward to getting going now....only 5 months to wait :-(
One thought, if we are going to go see molas and mantas, are we better doing an excursion from Seraya or wait until we get to Sanur (if so with whom?). We werent planning any diving in Sanur just relaxation but.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom