a few days to change my mind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
Do NOT bungee the backup reg around your neck unless your primary is on a 7' hose. I have seen this done and it is asinine. Your backup needs to be deployable unless you plan to donate your primary!! And do not go with the 7' hose unless you plan to do some tech training so that you KNOW how to use it properly.

A 7' hose is always best. However, regardless of hose length, you always donate the primary. I also recommend the 7' hose for recreational diving. Learning to use the 7' hose is simple and doesn't mandate tech training.

I currently dive with a Veo 200 and am happy with it. It was an economical choice that currently serves all of the purposes it needs to. Decent set of features for the price - including Nitrox compatability... Remember to shop around! I also second the idea that you should try before you buy whenever possible. That being said, I've had trouble finding some of the specific items I'm considering available for rental or a "test dive".... of course, you may meet some generous SB folks...?

theskull:
Do NOT bungee the backup reg around your neck unless your primary is on a 7' hose. I have seen this done and it is asinine. Your backup needs to be deployable unless you plan to donate your primary!! And do not go with the 7' hose unless you plan to do some tech training so that you KNOW how to use it properly.

Also, if you are not planning to go tech, the TwinJets are marvelous fins! I have a pair and love them for my recreational diving. (Also have a pair of the standard Jets for my tech diving.)

Nothing wrong with any of your choices. Most would argue against the AirII, but I have several good diving buddies who prefer it. Please yourself.

theskull

well first don't listen to this BS you can use a five foot or 7 foot hose and yes its better bungee the backup reg around your neck .IF you dont believe me ask this same question in the DIR section.

I use and trust the AIR II. Everyone has thier own ideas. Try it first and see what you think. Personally I like the streamlining...although the notation above about ascending and managing buoyancy while using an AIR II should be noted and practiced as it is different than using an octo (imagine dumping air from your BC while breathing through the same valve assembly!). Knowing the location of your alternate dumps is essential to avoiding a problem. Try not to get caught up in the whole "hose length" donor arguement and invest in equipment that works for you. Unless of course you are going to do something specifically technical that requires a specific setup.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm sorry that I wasn't more specific. I am strictly a warm water vacation diver.

After reading a lot of posts and talking to the people at the dive shops, I decided that a jacket style BC was the best choice for me. A big part of this is that I married into a diving family and so my spouse and father-in-law are my best resources when we are out on the boat. They have jacket style BCs, and I don't want to get a new piece of equipment that they aren't familiar with.

My LDS lets people have a hassle free demo policy of the equipment in the pool, so I have tried it all out including breating off of the air 2. I am also planning on getting some more pool time this weekend. Also, they suggest a (free) class in the differences in the use of an air 2 versus a typical octo (again it is in the pool, and I'll be bringing my dive buddy).

I have checked prices at least 6 shops and at all of the popular Internet sites, and I decided to go with this local shop. We were able to get them to come down a bit in price, but LP still beats their prices. However, I like the ScubaPro BC and I can't get that on LP. I am going to be sure that they give me the new weight pockets that are zippered instead of the velcro ones; I have tried both and I thoguht that the velcro pockets were a pain to get in.

The biggest tip that I got about the fins from the divemaster was that I needed to make my kick smaller.

Overall, I am very happy with the shop and the service. I feel like I can trust them and their recommendations. But the skeptic in me said that I should post here before buying just in case there were some major flaws that they didn't know about.

Thanks Again.

Good man. Usually better to trust live people with whom you dive and do business than us virtual weirdos.

As is plain to see, we all have strong opinions (contradictory), and if you were diving with us we would be an influence on you as well.

Have fun--all the gear is good.

theskull

If you're only going to dive while on vacation, why do you bother buying this stuff?

farnum:
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm sorry that I wasn't more specific. I am strictly a warm water vacation diver.

After reading a lot of posts and talking to the people at the dive shops, I decided that a jacket style BC was the best choice for me. A big part of this is that I married into a diving family and so my spouse and father-in-law are my best resources when we are out on the boat. They have jacket style BCs, and I don't want to get a new piece of equipment that they aren't familiar with.

My LDS lets people have a hassle free demo policy of the equipment in the pool, so I have tried it all out including breating off of the air 2. I am also planning on getting some more pool time this weekend. Also, they suggest a (free) class in the differences in the use of an air 2 versus a typical octo (again it is in the pool, and I'll be bringing my dive buddy).

I have checked prices at least 6 shops and at all of the popular Internet sites, and I decided to go with this local shop. We were able to get them to come down a bit in price, but LP still beats their prices. However, I like the ScubaPro BC and I can't get that on LP. I am going to be sure that they give me the new weight pockets that are zippered instead of the velcro ones; I have tried both and I thoguht that the velcro pockets were a pain to get in.

The biggest tip that I got about the fins from the divemaster was that I needed to make my kick smaller.

Overall, I am very happy with the shop and the service. I feel like I can trust them and their recommendations. But the skeptic in me said that I should post here before buying just in case there were some major flaws that they didn't know about.

Thanks Again.

As long as this is what you are comfortable with. It sounds like you did your homework and you ended up with what you want. As you can see by the responses here, there are a lot of different configurations to do the same thing, diving.

I am glad to see that the LDS is working with you, this is something you can't get at a On-Line store.

DSAO

Arnaud:
If you're only going to dive while on vacation, why do you bother buying this stuff?

It would be nice to feel comfortable and confident with my equipment instead of getting something different every time. I don't want to think about whether the regulator that I get this time is going to be easy to breathe. Besides this is a lifelong hobby; rentals add up after awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom