A few from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know what these are?

IMG_3916.jpg

#2 What kind of anemone?
IMG_2981+Anemone.jpg
#3 Branched Anemone?
IMG_3865.jpg
IMG_4149.jpg

EDIT ADDED:
IMG_4093.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll agree with Kukuisa on #1 (pen shell) and #4 (boga).

#2 looks like a giant anemone - Condylactis gigantea
#3 is a maze coral (Meandrina meandrites) with its polyps out
#5 I'm guessing you're asking about the green semi-circles? They look like the macroalga, Lobophora variegata, but the picture isn't really clear enough to get a close look.

I'll agree with Kukuisa on #1 (pen shell) and #4 (boga).

#2 looks like a giant anemone - Condylactis gigantea
#3 is a maze coral (Meandrina meandrites) with its polyps out
#5 I'm guessing you're asking about the green semi-circles? They look like the macroalga, Lobophora variegata, but the picture isn't really clear enough to get a close look.

#3 Really - are you sure that it is maze coral. I only question because of the strange edge in the lower left of the picture, looks like it is folded up (Though maybe that is the edge of the maze) I have searched the internet for maze coral to see if I could find another with it open but couldn't.

#5 is the the same as Encrusting Fan-Leaf Algae? Here is an enlargement

What is this 5a.jpg

Oh and #6 didn't upload

What is this 6.jpg

Is this also a Giant Anemone - the bulbs at the end look so pronounced.

Thank you for your help!

I think #4 may be Rainbow Runners.

Without a scale, I would go with generic 'Fusiliers' for number 4, but if they are bigger, Rainbow Runners looks good

Yes - #3 is a maze coral with polyps out. Try googling "meandrina meandrites, night" - that will turn up a few pictures. As far as the edges, the colony will take on the shape of the substrate on which it's growing.

#5 is Lobophora

#6 also looks like Condylactis - these anemones can be a variety of colors, and sometimes the tentacle tips are more bulbous than others.

Back
Top Bottom