A few G15 shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the wide angle front, I am still deciding what to do, I purchases a cheap w-20 and have used it with the wide angle port on the ikelite housing, and there is no vignette at 35mm (x .56 effective) which gives a nice wide view, and is super fun, but the image quality is lacking, I think I will try the new inon lens soon. I totally see why people love wide angle lenses tho... it is addicting, as soon as i screw it on it stays on for the rest of the dive/snorkel it seems. But I am new enough to diving that I am still trying to obtain really nice macro shots, and am loving tracking down new Nudi's (this was our first Tom Smith's today). So the dyron is a lot of fun.

On the wide angle front, I am still deciding what to do, I purchases a cheap w-20 and have used it with the wide angle port on the ikelite housing, and there is no vignette at 35mm (x .56 effective) which gives a nice wide view, and is super fun, but the image quality is lacking, I think I will try the new inon lens soon. I totally see why people love wide angle lenses tho... it is addicting, as soon as i screw it on it stays on for the rest of the dive/snorkel it seems. But I am new enough to diving that I am still trying to obtain really nice macro shots, and am loving tracking down new Nudi's (this was our first Tom Smith's today). So the dyron is a lot of fun.
Because of the zoom of the G15 the lens will be far away from the port and the image will be soft. This is why Inon have developed the new zoom series wide angle
The lens you mention like many others will suffer exactly that problem

just got back from diving in Maui with my new G15 in an Ikelite housing with wired strobes. First I want to say how much I really like the housing, the construction makes it super clear when the o-ring is seated properly and to feel it's setup just right. All controls are easily accessible. The wired strobes worked out super well as well (DS-160 and a DS-51) I also used their red filter to help maintain colour balance. I'll post some images up here once I get them on a machine that will support that.

carnationcorona2_zpsc332c297.jpg

coronacarnation_zps8893b834.jpg

clarksanemonefish_zps2dee47d6.jpg

So summary is with the G15 you can now do macro, close up and close focus wide angle.
The G15 is not a good camera for large animals and wrecks in ambient light as the inon lens is not supporting wide aperture.

If you like canon and want to have the flexibility of taking all shots the only viable option is the powershot S series 100/110 at this time

I think I will keep the S95 for a few more years as I prefer CCD sensors to CMOS at this time!

I am gonna try this on one of our wrecks here and see what I can do with it...I figure on smaller guns, it will work but there probably won't be any bow shots that will turn out well.

I am gonna try this on one of our wrecks here and see what I can do with it...I figure on smaller guns, it will work but there probably won't be any bow shots that will turn out well.

I have a feeling that when you get the inon dome that goes with their wa lens, you will be able to get great wa shots.

The dome only gets you closer to the subject for close focus wide angle but does not solve the issue that this lens only works with a strobe
Defined as "wide macro lens' the Japanese translation of close focus wide angle

I have a feeling that when you get the inon dome that goes with their wa lens, you will be able to get great wa shots.

The dome only gets you closer to the subject for close focus wide angle but does not solve the issue that this lens only works with a strobe
Defined as "wide macro lens' the Japanese translation of close focus wide angle
I think the dome will help with being able to put some distance for not quite WA but enough to work a smaller gun on a wreck...we shall see :wink:...I was told the MF Samyang with the E-PL wouldn't work under a dome but it did after a bit of practice with it.

I think you are making some confusion, the dome expands field of view of the lens and decreases magnification so your focus point gets closer not further away

Anyway you can try and see what happens Inon says

Unique optical design allows to shorten minimum focal distance with super wide view angle thus effective for ultra wide macro imaging and capturing clear image even in poor visibility condition.

Back
Top Bottom