A flag that is less of a drag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, you are ignorant regarding drift dives in SE Florida. You are not near your boat that dropped you live over the reef. There are many groups who are quite spread out over the reef. In Boynton Beach, just as an example, some groups are dropped on the outside, east side of the reef, whereas, others are dropped on the inside, west side of the reef. Groups often end up quite far apart at the end of the dive. Every group or solo diver carries their own flag.

note that i said assuming you are within the range of the boat depending on where you are. If that is a pita to store on the boat, get one of the inflatable ones that works the same way.

Actually I am swimming out, so that streamlined torpedo float with its weight tucked against it’s body instead of dragging underneath, the big handles, and the possibility of resting on it make a lot of sense. Maybe I can attach my water more sleekly somehow too.

For drift dives I’d rather see if someone else will drag a flag, and I can pop an SMB ;-)

note that i said assuming you are within the range of the boat depending on where you are. If that is a pita to store on the boat, get one of the inflatable ones that works the same way.
Or a simple closed foam float like most of us, and most/all of the boats use in the area. Nobody uses inflatable floats. Everyone has expertise in their own area, sometimes it does not extend beyond.

Or a simple closed foam float like most of us, and most/all of the boats use in the area. Nobody uses inflatable floats. Everyone has expertise in their own area, sometimes it does not extend beyond.

you guys know your own boats better than I do obviously and if it's a no-no on their boats then don't use it. When I wrote that first post it sounded more like shore diving which was confirmed in the post above, and for shore/river diving, I like the buoys. I agree with @aquacat8 though, if I'm drift diving on a boat, I'd rather someone else carry the flag for the group and I'll shoot a buoy if I have to...

you guys know your own boats better than I do obviously and if it's a no-no on their boats then don't use it. When I wrote that first post it sounded more like shore diving which was confirmed in the post above, and for shore/river diving, I like the buoys. I agree with @aquacat8 though, if I'm drift diving on a boat, I'd rather someone else carry the flag for the group and I'll shoot a buoy if I have to...
Probably most would rather someone else carry the flag :), I dive by myself :)

Yeah that’s the one I have, and you are right, it is fine for drift diving from a boat, and it’s ok for freediving from shore too, but there’s a reason that Dano sells that spearfishing float and I’m enough of a gear head to want to try it. I bet it does swim faster through the water. I think you can strap a gun to it, and I think you can lie over it and rest. But I’m not sure how to attach a goody bag and water bottle to it in a secure, steamlined way.

Yeah that’s the one I have, and you are right, it is fine for drift diving from a boat, and it’s ok for freediving from shore too, but there’s a reason that Dano sells that spearfishing float and I’m enough of a gear head to want to try it. I bet it does swim faster through the water. I think you can strap a gun to it, and I think you can lie over it and rest. But I’m not sure how to attach a goody bag and water bottle to it in a secure, steamlined way.
I'm sure Mako could advise you

I’m not drift diving on these shore dives: in fact a lot of current would be a reason to call the dive. I am providing all the motive power by swimming, and that is why drag is an issue. This is for shallow freediving from shore.

@MAKO Spearguns got back to me... they are very helpful :)

Last edited:
Think about the line from the diver to the flag. I switched to braided fishing line (Power Pro) Has the diameter of a light monofilament fishing line with tremendous strength. Has no dragand really helps make the flag toting job much easier.

Think about the line from the diver to the flag. I switched to braided fishing line (Power Pro) Has the diameter of a light monofilament fishing line with tremendous strength. Has no dragand really helps make the flag toting job much easier.
I use DGX hi viz dacron line , same reason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom