A Friend at work wants to get certified but has a "hang-up"!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure there are less opportunities for infection in lakes, rivers, etc. But I did my open water certain in Bonaire at Captain Don's and never set fin in a pool for the training. The confined water work was all in shallow water close to shore.

I pee in the oceane, think about it next time you dig into it :)
sorry about it..
well ok it may be funny to us, but not at all to him,
if people have fear of something, no matter how crasy it sound to others,
their fear is real to them, and should be handeled seriously, even if we dont understand it.

It's pretty much been said, but I have to say it anyway. The pool is likely the most germless part of scuba diving there is, and if he's really concerned about it, that doesn't bode well. Unless it's a really pool-specific thing.

Discourage him from renting wetsuits. :D

Tell him to think of all the fish that live in the ocean and that they are all peeing in it. That should make the pool look better

Tell your friend to stop being such a sissy about it, before his man club card gets revoked.:)

Thank you all for replying. I don't understand his fear either. But let me say that he is not afraid of going into a creek or the ocean. He does know about chlorine in pools. As a matter of fact, one of my part time duties at work in the spring is to take care of the base pool. He knows what goes into it so it's just a mental thing. I know all too well how that can play havic on a person so I doubt he'll get his "man card" pulled. I'm going to try my best to walk him through it. And I'll bring up the rental thing also.
Thanks, Steve

Try talking him into going swimming and snorkling in the pool with you first, just to get over the mental aspect of it.
Remind him that he can shower before and after swimming, the pool probably has a shower facility.

-Mitch

so instead of people germs like skin, he prefers to swim where sewerage goes?

seems odd to me. ditto on the rental gear as well. man people have some strange fears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom