A Good 1st Time Philippine Dive Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contrary to Sirens advice, I would be careful with Moalboal....I'd check the latest news on the sardines and the conditions. Someone on the board here might have a clearer idea of what Moalboal is like now -
I was diving Pescador in June off the Siren, the sardines were abundant. However, I can't compare the numbers to before Jan.

We did an early morning 5am dive, but no luck spotting thresher sharks.

My wife is a bit concerned about the transportation required between Manila and Malapascua or Bohol. We have traveled to many destinations in Central America and are comfortable getting around there, but since this will be our 1st trip to the Philippines, it is an unknown quantity. How difficult is it, and what is a typical fare for the hopper flight to Cebu? Is there a weight limitation less than 50 lbs? Has anyone taken the ferry or is this a dumb idea?
The flight from Manila to Cebu or Tagbilaran(for Alona Beach) can be as low as P1.00(one way) + add on(check in luggage) by Cebu Pacific Airway. There are other airlines as well.
Ferry takes too long.
How difficult it is?
1. Taxi to NAIA(Manila) Termninal 2 or 3.
2. Taxi from Tagbilaran airport to Alona Beach(US$10 -15.00).
3. Getting to Malapascua is a lot more expensive by private transfer(around US$100.00 each way) from Cebu Airport. You can do it cheaply and equally safely by public transport.

Hello Dennism52,
i have been travelling a few ties through the Philippines and i can recommend you the following.
If you like big fish, like Thresher Sharks, Devil rays, White tip reef sharks etc. you have to go to Malapascua. I stayed with Ocean Vida and dived with Sea Explorers, superb resort, great divecenter and super experienced dive guides... In the evening we had soe live music as one of the guys loves to sing, he even brings his guitar onto the boat which makes the atmosphere incredible. I can highly recommend it!
The only negative point in Malapascua is, that you do not have much fish here. Macro life is amazing, but no schooling fish. Super Macro and big Thresher Sharks, nothing in between.

To combine Malapascua with a second destination, keep in mind, that you have to travel at least 6 hours. If you like it quiet, check out Cabilao Island. Superb wall diving, huge sea fans, great macro and super nice underwater life. Dumaguete has superb macro, with great muck diving, as they have dark sand there. Apo Island is a great daytrip with a lot of fish, turtles etc.
If you combine Malapascua with Dumaguete, i recommend leaving Malapascua some time in the afternoon and stay one night in Cebu. Early morning flights to Dumaguete from Cebu are daily and super cheap. You will arrive about 08:00 a.m. in the resort of your choice.

If you don´t like to loose one day of traveling, Sea Explorers offers island hopping. You can combine Dumaguete with Alona or Cabilao. You go on the dive boat, do a few and afterwards you just hopp onto another boat and they bring you to the next destination. Perfect solution i tell you!

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.
Cheers!

Ocean Jet(Pier 1) makes several trips everyday from Cebu to Dumaguete in 4hrs. Bus(Ceres) runs regularly from the Southern Bus Terminal to several ports down in Southern Cebu where ferry crossing to the outskirts of Dumaguete is under 30mins.
Start early and you still have time for a night dive in Dauin.

That's great news about the sardines, guys!! Thanks for the update. It was all doom and gloom when we were there, but I much prefer to think it was mistaken. Are they back in their former numbers? Does anyone know the full story here?

we had no problem getting around. Evolution at malapascua arranged a car for us from malapascua to Cebu city, and this is very easy to do via local bus too. We stayed there for the sinulog festival and then just caught a ferry to bohol. Getting around by ferry and bus or car or van is very easy. English is spoken. It's an extremely easy country to travel in. Just know in advance what the going rate is for things, as you will be overcharged if you can be. Not at the dive shops, but elsewhere. We made sure to pay for extra baggage allowance (sporting goods) on the plane from Manila to Cebu and from dumaguete to Manila. It was important to follow the baggage instructions for the airline properly (separate bags and so on) and there were zero problems. At times we were rattling around with 60kgs of scuba gear and other luggage as well on local motorized trikes and so on, but it was all good fun and never bothersome. Very easy country to travel around in.

any extra info about th sardines appreciated! We are considering giving the PI another go for five weeks next jan, so that would be good information.

Thanks for the additional comments from Centrals and Hairyfrogfish90. I'm definitely hooked on making the trip to Cebu. Malapascua is high on my list. I've been in direct contact with Matt Reed at Evolution. He has been very helpful, and answered additional questions regarding package pricing and the logistics of getting to Malapascua. Thank you Matt. I would like to make this a two week trip and am doing additional research on secondary locations that have been suggested on this thread and by Matt.

Once again, thanks to all who have provided info and recommendations. My trip planning is still a work in progress, but so far I am looking at one week on Malapascua with Evolution. Top candidate for a 2nd week is Magic Island in Moalboal. I have not yet ruled out Liquid at Dumaguete, or other recommendations. When I make a final choice I will reply to this thread to let everyone know my choices. Eventually, I hope to post a trip report with photos.

Back
Top Bottom