A letter to the open water diving community from the NACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone familiar with Eagle's Nest. Ill be getting my cavern cert this summer, and was wondering if dropping down to the ball room, but going no farther would be cansidered a cavern dive. I plan on getting cave cert within the next couple of years, and have already made this cave a bucket list dive. I'm basically just wanting a taste if it will be within the limits of cavern diving. Anyone know?

You will find no responsible diver or instructor who thinks it is OK for cavern divers to dive eagles' nest.

I will take no one there unless they are full cave certified as well as trimix certified, or enrolled in a trimix class.

Hold eagles nest on your list, but please bump it near the bottom until you are properly trained for this dive.

Im not going to attempt to explore eagle's nest until I've had a couple years of cave under my belt. I was just curious if dropping to the top of the ball room, but going no farther would be considered cavern.

Im not going to attempt to explore eagle's nest until I've had a couple years of cave under my belt. I was just curious if dropping to the top of the ball room, but going no farther would be considered cavern.

Smart man! I would not consider anything about EN a cavern dive, nor would most of my fellow cave instructors.

Only two rules in diving:

1.) You can not breath water;
2.) you can not swim through rock

@ Nuclearoops, there is some nice clips of EN on you-tube - those visuals should be enough to satisfy you untill you are correctly qaulified. don't be stupid EN is not going anywhere, she will wait for you untill you are qualified

While many have not observed the rules of diving EN. It is a dive that (is suppose to) have some pre-requisites. Having just cavern and for that matter cave even with trimix is in itself not sufficient. Take note of Jim Wyatt's advise and build your experience. There are many other caverns and caves to explore before hand once you are qualified. Don't become overly curious to the point that it puts you at greater risk

@nuclearoops, I know the "safety police" haven't answered your actual question yet, however, if you are cavern cert then you should know what quals as a cavern dive. Is the space lit by natural light? Clear, open, distinct exit? Etc, etc, etc. If so, then TECHICALLY it is a cavern dive. Not being hands-on familiar with EN, I can't say for certain if what you propose is or is not a cavern dive.

@nuclearoops, I know the "safety police" haven't answered your actual question yet, however, if you are cavern cert then you should know what quals as a cavern dive. Is the space lit by natural light? Clear, open, distinct exit? Etc, etc, etc. If so, then TECHICALLY it is a cavern dive. Not being hands-on familiar with EN, I can't say for certain if what you propose is or is not a cavern dive.
I'd say Jim Wyatt's advice in reply #21 is about as good an answer as he's likely to get ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This year has had its share of cave-related diver fatalities. Currently, the death toll in Florida caves includes two experienced cave-trained divers and two non-cave trained open water certified divers. This adds to the fact that over the years the NACD has seen an unacceptable rate of non cave trained divers perishing in the cave environment. Most of this is likely due to the divers not being fully informed of the hazards and specialized training that diving into the caves requires.

The count was 2 trained and 2 non trained. So why was it only the non trained divers that were the problem?

from what I gather so far the main cause of non cave dive trained accidents this year has been irresponsible dive "guides" taking OW dives into the cave zone, could the NACD report and somehow sanction or get theses "guides" in trouble? that would really help big time.
In Mexico for example many of the cavern guides are certified cave divers (a requirement) and many are certified by the NACD, if the NACD knew for a fact that a guide was taking OW divers into the cave zone would you revoke his/her certification? that would be a great deterrent because as the situation stands now little to nothing at all is done as far as sanctions go.
Yes writing a letter is a nice first step but unless you back it up by actual sanctions it will fall on deaf ears, you will probably never stop OW divers who on they're own time decide to go cave diving with no training, how could? however industry guides who need a cave certification and who may risk loosing it if they get caught/reported, now that would really help.

Back
Top Bottom