A lion fish spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, excellent, thanks for the reply. That's good to know. We are going down there later this month and my buddy and I have been spearing them in other places, but were always told no in Cozumel. It gets frustrating to drift past a group of 10-15 lionfish sunbathing on a coral head and not be able to exterminate a couple.

You won't see huge numbers anymore in the marine park thanks to many of the divemasters continuous harvesting of lionfish. Below recreational depths (130ft+) and outside the marine park the numbers are much much higher.

I briefly dropped down on a ledge about 140ft only to see 5 huge ones just sitting there.

The lionfish often slide off of smooth spears or onto your hand if you hold them upright. Good
reason to wear puncture-proof gloves. Still, the goal is to do whatever it takes to get the job done. We are killing them regularly here in the VI. Keep up the good work in your part of the world.

Some of the larger fellows were able to escape even when the diver seemed to have pinned it down hard.

but we were trying to figure out an effective technique of delivering a quick, accurate kill shot,

That's easy. They stay pretty still and let you get close. Just work on the aim and make every shot a head shot.

I missed on a bigger one and got him just behind the head, so I had to let him go. He was putting up a big fight, and with my single tipped, and very short Lion Tamer, he was sliding up the shaft towards my hand. I still wonder if he managed to live after being completely impailed through the middle of his body by my spear?

That's easy. They stay pretty still and let you get close. Just work on the aim and make every shot a head shot.

I missed on a bigger one and got him just behind the head, so I had to let him go. He was putting up a big fight, and with my single tipped, and very short Lion Tamer, he was sliding up the shaft towards my hand. I still wonder if he managed to live after being completely impailed through the middle of his body by my spear?

The local DM I was hunting with on Bonaire said he has seen many Lionfish escape with serious wounds, even head shots, that you swore had to be fatal, reappear on the reef later. They were much more cautious of course. But still very much alive, and hunting. :shakehead:

The local DM I was hunting with on Bonaire said he has seen many Lionfish escape with serious wounds, even head shots, that you swore had to be fatal, reappear on the reef later. They were much more cautious of course. But still very much alive, and hunting. :shakehead:
They are definitely tough little buggers, but every clean head shot I made took all the fight out of them. It was like hitting their off switch. Maybe I just got lucky?

They are definitely tough little buggers, but every clean head shot I made took all the fight out of them. It was like hitting their off switch. Maybe I just got lucky?

I watched one of his shots put one of the 3 prongs of the lion fish spear into his head, just behind the eye. Stunned to see that fellow suddenly break free of the spear, and dash deeper into the reef. It was after that event that we had the discussion about how many of these pests do escape, even after very good hits

I watched one of his shots put one of the 3 prongs of the lion fish spear into his head, just behind the eye. Stunned to see that fellow suddenly break free of the spear, and dash deeper into the reef. It was after that event that we had the discussion about how many of these pests do escape, even after very good hits

I can attest to that! It's why I like barbed points. They don't get off as easily. I can hold them down on the side, dispatch them with knife or shears and pull them off by grabbing head or mouth once they are dead.

Yes the barbed heads I feel are better than none. I have come close to harm with the spears that dont have them rather than being able to keep them 'clutched' to the spear by the barbs until clipping or chopping is done. If you have ever nailed a large one they are very powerful and will easily get off a barbless head.

I use a barbless spear, and after shooting one I jam the tips into the sand to pin him down and then unscrew the last section of my sling and mash their little heads to pieces. When I get the green goo cloud, my work is done. :) The barbless then slides right out and we're on to the next victim.

I wonder how many of them get the chance to recuperate after a spearing... My divemaster managed to nail a couple of them this week with the usual triple barbless spear, and each time a big queen triggerfish would materialize out of nowhere in about 10 seconds and proceed to take over the show. It would grab the lionfish and wiggle it right off the spear for us, and then take off with it. It usually wouldn't go far, but would drag the lionfish down under a coral ledge and then lunch was served. If they are that tuned into the situation, I wouldn't give much for the chances of a lionfish that was badly wounded but managed to escape. Stay tuned for further updates.:wink: Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom