A little advice on the leave college idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nmp0906

Registered
Reaction score
I have never been much of a person for organized classrooms and instructions for extended periods of time (teaching is a different story). I like figuring something out (we call this learning) and then putting it to use. Four years of classroom work (well, currently five now) is of no interest to me. Don't get me wrong the stuff I am studying is interesting, but I like working and doing something with my knowledge instead of just using it in the next chapter to do some else that by the time I may* use it, I have to look it up again anyways.

IMHO, college teaches us how to learn (in addition to some knowledge and general awareness of things as well as a chance to grow up ... though that is debatable at times). People who can think, problem solve, and learn on their own to set and achieve their goals have a definite advantage. My personal opinions on a college degree is if you don't know what you want to do or you want to be successful get one. However, for those of us who can think, problem solve, and learn on their own to set and achieve their goals, we can find scenarios where college may be a waste of time and money.

Here is what I want to do:

I want to be a beach bum of sorts. I want to live in the tropics (live in Indiana now, leaving as soon as possible for Florida, the Carribbean or some other tropical international destination). Basically, I want to live on a sailboat, do diving charters, private cruises, etc. not having many expenses, but lots of fun (and hard work of course). To supplement this until I can purchase a boat and do some independent work, I want to be a divemaster and eventually an instructor working at a dive shop. I also want to do some photography / videography personally and professionally (mostly underwater) for profit, but as a completely informal thing.

Here is what I have:

I have a few years of technical (computer) skills. I have worked help desk and such, and have enough experience to get a ~$35k - $42k /yr job almost anywhere. That kind of work really isn't much to be happy about, but it is somewhat enjoyable and I can last about a year before getting burnt out at a company (providing there are no promotions, otherwise I can last quite a bit longer as more money comes in).

I am OW certified, dove in mostly tropical places, and been certified for 7 years. However, I haven't logged that many dives b/c I live in Indiana and get classified as a vacation diver. I do love diving of course.

Here is where I need advice and some preliminary ideas:

I keep reading about the these internships in Thailand and becoming a divemaster in 2 months or an instructor in 4. I agree that these are short intervals for certification, but they do solve the problem of the fact that I am entering my third semester of college (a semester behind b/c of switching majors and I still manage to maintain interest for only half the semester which really hasn't much to do with the course material, just the fact that I like putting it to use and working). When I got certified back some 7 years ago now, I hated classwork, but the little that there was was enough to keep me interested and the fact that we had pool time and then I could actually go out and dive was the best part.

So, I could leave college at the end of this semester, go on one of these internship things for 4 months, find a job and produce some income all within 6 months of the student loans having to be repaid (another thing... why incur debt for something I dislike doing?). Purchase an inexpensive sail boat to live on, earn all my sailing certifications and other stuff to be able to charter people and do private week long couples getaways (might need to get a bigger boat once I have everything paid off). From there, the possibilities are almost endless. Diving, sailing, and getting paid to do so... that can't be too bad :)

The other option is to find a dive shop or similar to work at while earning my certifications. A dive shop willing to pay for an extra hand (or dive charter or something) while training would be a good option as well.

The one thing I don't want is a job where I have to spend hours in a lab (like marine biology or scientific diving), however, I do have an interest in animals... but only in the playful sense, the play with dolphins over research breeding habits type difference.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. This isn't one of those things that I just thought of and it has been in the back of my mind being pondering since before I entered college.

Far be it for me to burst anyone's bubbles...

:popcorn:

Boy I remember those days. Enjoy it. You can always go back to school and get a degree. If I was 20, did not have a mortgage, a wife, a 3 year old, a car note, clients, etc., I would be on a boat and trying to make a living out of teaching scuba. Go for it.

Here's my opinion. You sound young...I'm going to guess ~20. You most likely have about 60 years left to live. Spending a little more money and 2-3 more years on college isn't going to hurt that much in the grand scheme of things. Employers tend to want degrees nowadays. It's getting to where it doesn't necessarily matter what it's in, as long as you have one. It tells them you held out and finished something. I've known many people who are not working in the field of their degree or even near it. Your computer experience won't mean much before too long and then you won't have anything to fall back on. I say finish the degree, take a nice vacation in the tropics and think about what makes you happy and what doors your education may have opened to pursue that.

@busdiver :: You made my day. Go for it I shall. :)

The question then becomes what about these Thailand internships for about $5 grand to go from nothing to Divemaster and $7 grand from nothing to instructor? I am not concerned about the short cert time (2 and 4 months respectively) but more the 411 on these setups. Legitimacy, reputation, etc? Can I really trust sending my money to http://www.divinginstructortraining.com/ for their instructor program? As long as I come away PADI certified, the certifcations reputation stands for employment.

How old are you and how many college hours have you completed towards your degree? If you already have a considerable number of hours completed then I would finish the degree. Good insurance for the long haul. If you have little or no hours accumulated then go for it. Find out what you truly love and become the absolute best in your field. Happiness, success and money should follow. Good luck!

You and me are currently living the same life. Tried the college thing, lost interest. I also want to be a dive bum, but then again... who doesn't? While it all sounds great, grand and wonderful, try plugging some numbers and truly evaluating it realisticly. Make a pro's and con's list. Then reach down between your legs and see if you've got what it takes to take a risk and live a little. Thats what it took for me to join the military. I've been there, done that and now I'm right where you're at. Checking again to see if I've got the gusto to risk it all again and try somethin else. From what I've seen, the work is hard, the pay is minimal (I'm used to this after 6 years in the army) but unlike the military, the benefits are infinately better. While it may not work out, you may crash and burn and never get your business started, but wouldn't you rather be 90 lookin back thinkin about what a great time those 1, 2 or however many years you worked as a dive pro were instead of wishing you had given it a shot. If you're young enough, and don't have any crazy bills or relationships holding you back. I say go for it. I'm probably going to be right behind you. Better to try and fail than never try at all. Like busdiver said... you can always go back to school. Why not live a little while you can. See you under water.

If I was going to knock off a few years of my life and do a quick re-write, I would connect with an LA County instructor and go from there. I would avoid the PADI, NAUI, etc. agencies. However, it may be easier to find a job or get paid as an independent in most of the world if you are a PADI, NAUI, or etc. instructor.

If I was going to stay with PADI, I would not head off to south east asia. I would head down to Key Largo and go from there. But that is me. My final option is to locate a training center by your college, continue with a class here and there and knock out your trainings in Indiana. Or don't. If you are committed to a goal you will enjoy some level of success.

I agree with the fact that a degree is good and what it is in is mostly irrelevant. And I realize that if you and someone else are compared side by side, w/o a degree you have a significant disadvantage. However, if your job really hasn't the necessity of a degree (dive instructor positions outside the US for example especially) then what does it matter if the degree comes now or at all? That is why.. at current, I could get a decent tech job (my skills extend in systems administration and such and are a really nice setup for freelancing), and if I don't use them now, in a few years the experience will be irrelevant.

In the end, if I have a bank of 60 years then why not do something I love starting now? I will even go as far as saying that going to college part time w/o incurring debt once moving to a more tropical place and gaining residency would be a beneficial thing and would be something I would be doing. This is mostly leave full time school in Indiana, move south (take a few months to get certified), work in a dive shop, get my own boat to live on, and then reevaluate things. If that is what I want then, fine. I will reevaluate the goals and set a course to pickup a degree part time, otherwise, I am in a place I want to be and have a place to live inexpensively and can reenter school heading in another direction.

I stayed through school. My brother dropped and ended up going back. My opinion is to stay through school now. Your young and have few obligations. Later, going back to school may not be nearly as easy as it is now to simply stay and finish.

Simply put, a college degree will pay for itself.

As for the life of scuba - Its not nearly so much fun to work as a DM on a dive as it is to simply dive for yourself. Oh and depending on where you are in Indiana, there is good diving to be had. From Purdue, its 2 hours to Lake Michagan.

Back
Top Bottom