a little help for a beginner.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hex

Reaction score
First of all let me thank anyone that takes the time to read this. The question I have, and was hoping to get some opinions on is what is a good video camera for someone new to underwater videography to start out with. Basically I would like something that shoots quality video at a reasonable price. I don't need all the bells and whistles yet, but I also dont want to be stuck with a camera that I am looking to upgrade 6 months down the road. I'm willing to spend a little extra if it is going to pay off in the long run, I just really am not sure what all I need. I have done a little research myself, but I thought I would pose the question here where there is a vast amount of knowledge. Thanks again for any and all help.

Hi. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I think it really depends on you. Some things to consider:

- Video format. DV offers good quality at affordable prices. HDV is new and the options are few and more expensive right now, but the video quality is very high. Also, HDV editing options are rather limited and require powerful computers right now, but this should be improving.
- Size. If you travel with this stuff, you will soon begin to appreciate a compact video camera and compact underwater housing.
- Control. Personally, I think it's nice to have the option of manual control. Full auto is a good place to start, but as you gain more experience you may feel limited by a camera that doesn't offer the controls you want.
- Availability. Popular models are easier to get and tend to have more accessories available (including housings).
- "Sacrificability". I think it is good to keep in mind that you may eventually end up flooding your video camera if you take it underwater. Are you willing to do this? Is it possible to get a replacement easily?

Personally, I use a Sony TRV900 in a Gates housing underwater and would not hesitate to recommend one to someone else looking to start.

These camcorders were discontinued in 2002, but IMO they will still hold their own against most DV video cameras today.

- They were/are extremely popular and can still be found used but in good working condition.
- Accessories are abundant.
- There are several TRV900-specific housings, and they can be used in a variety of "generic" housings.
- 3CCDs offer very good color and good low light performance.
- Easy access to manual controls including white balance.
- Relatively compact and solidly built.

Disadvantages are that they still cost up to $900 used... They were about $2400 new and have held their value quite well for a video camera. And because they were discontinued in 2002, any unit you get today will be at least about 4 years old so you should check it out before using it extensively.

If you want to go the HDV route, then the Sony HC1 or upcoming HC3 might be the way to go. The FX1 is awesome, but the housings are equally awesome in terms of bulk and weight.

I now have an HC1 and wouldn't mind using it underwater if I had a housing for it... but the problems I see are:

- Now discontinued after just a little more than a year, so availability and accessories (including housings) may be rather limited.
- Very poor low light performance with unacceptable noise levels, IMO.
- Bottom loading tape makes changing them a pain for housing/tripod users.
- Manual white balance is buried in the touchscreen menu system.
- Build quality is not as solid as the TRV900. Granted, this doesn't really affect performance, but mine is noticably "creaky" in the grip area and it's a minor annoyance.
- Not cheap.

All that said, the HC1 takes very nice video in good light. It's now my main top side camera.

not as much details as you would probably like, but gather up some information on the SONY PC1000..... decent price and Ikelite has a great housing for a decent price. is a 3 chip camera, but the WB is not very accessible and that sux. It's not as 'high-tec' as the HDV option, but would be a great place to start and see how MUCH you love doing U/W video.

you won't have to mortgage the house to get started and you won't have to get a new high end PC to process as you would if you go the HDV video route and you'll be able to share your video with your friends which you won't be able to do with HD. (yet!)

I think the best two options are either of the PC1000 or the HC1, depending on budget. Both perform excellent underwater. Although the HC1 was talked about by many regarding its low light capabilities, the test shots Ive done with it have really surprised me.

The nice thing about both of these cameras in addition to their quality is the fact that both of them have numerous housings available. Nearly all video housing manufacturers produced a housing for those two cameras. Which means, that there is a housing to fit every need and every budget.

Hex:
Basically I would like something that shoots quality video at a reasonable price.

Basically, there is no such animal as "quality video at a reasonable price" when you factor in computer, editing software. lights ($a MUST!$), filters, and a good carrying case for travel. If you've never shot UW video I would suggest that you rent a system some time and give it a try. Second, start doing research on DV cams and suitable housings. The price range is very wide. This is something you don't want to jump into without being sure of what you need and what you can afford. Set a budget in your head (how much am I willing to spend) and start the inquiries. I must warn you---UW videography can become a consuming passion; it's one expensive activity directly connected to another expensive activity Good luck

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, you all gave me a lot to think about and help guide my decision. This is exactly the kind of help I knew Scubaboard could provide. again thanks for all the great insight.

Back
Top Bottom