a new diver looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voss

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
  • hello and good afternoon (for all those in the Midwest hope you are staying warm and out of the snow,

A little back ground: I got my ow in fall of 2012, my aow,night,search&recovery, wreck,boat, and deep diver (still a little uneasy about a couple of them yet,the experience is definitely no there yet) in 2013. I am from the St Louis Mo area.

As you can see I have put my money towards classes so far not buying any of my own stuff so far (my instructor has been renting me stuff for class and fun dives). I know this year I would like to take a class on buoyancy control hoping that will also help control my air usage. I was thinking that by taking a few class first I (A) make sure I enjoy the sport (B) have the proper equipment that is needed.

Is there any class you would recommend ? the instructor that I have been dealing with said maybe dry-suit, just to add more time to our season and more options in the area to dive ?? His main recommendation was to log more time underwater this year.

While living here in middle of Missouri, I don't have lots of great places to dive without a good drive. That being said I was looking on your web site,and a few others under the classifieds for maybe used gear. Is this a safe idea? for a peace of mind I would have it all looked a Padi shop before I would use it. any thoughts on the about the above questions or any extra incite will be very much appreciated

Thank you for your time.

Taking classes is ok but logging more hours in the water and getting comfortable using what you have learned is the best way to go right now. Once the things you have learned become second nature to you then it might be time to look at something else. I buy nothing but used equipment but I also know how to do my own service so it is not that big a deal for me. You might want to start looking for used gear from people who have used your LDS so there is a way to track the service history of what you are buying.

Your instructor is right. Get some more experience and you will better know what gear you need. Find a group of people that dive locally and get in with them. You might find there are more places to dive than you think. Sometimes 10-20' ponds are more interesting than you think and gearing up and down are good skills to practice. Take a dive trip someplace warm. A good dive shop will get moat any regulator up and running safely. A wing and backplate can be very cheap, versatile and easy to sell should you find something you like better. You can make your own backplate as well.

Working on buoyancy and SAC is in part learning to dive slow and at times no go and becoming relaxed and comfortable. I like classes and have taken a number of them. But while they give you dive time and are helpful they do not provide the optimal place to go slow and learn to relax. Most class dives are limited in time and involve some task loading. Personally I am never as relaxed in a class as I am when just diving. The buoyancy class is good but then you need to dive. For most folks I think at first having your own equipment helps with this. Later you learn to quickly adapt to most equipment.

i can't think of anyplace in Missouri that isn't a cave or a mine (not counting pools) that is easily divable right now unless you're into ice diving... spring break trip down here to florida?

Voss, we are in the St Louis area too. I agree with what others are saying, that what you need most is more time in the water. The peak performance buoyancy class is great but it will mean more to you after you've logged some dives and have a better understanding of the skills being taught - how they work. I don't know if you're male or female - or size - but when you're ready I might have some gear to sell - some purchased at Great American and some at y-kiki.

It is nice to hear his suggestion is to dive more, rather than pay him for more classes. I completely agree!

If your dive count in your profile is accurate (0-24), and you have all those courses already done, I think you've spent too much time diving with an instructor and could be in a "trust me dive" state where you have depended on the instructor to lead the way, make sure you are OK, and so on for pretty much every dive in your logbook.

If you want to extend your dive season, a drysuit is a good suggestion. If I need a 7mm to stay warm, for example, I would rather dive dry (and I don't particularly like drysuits).

I agree its time for your to go do some "real diving and get time underwater to hone the skills you have learned , from dive planning to buoyancy and trim control, to navigation and etc. You have to get off leash some time, and with the work you have done, I think you are ready for it.
DivvemasterDennis

I have had to have a 7mm on for all 22 of them so far.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2014 at 06:49 PM ----------

That is where I did my aow at. Great place, planning on going back for a weekend this summer

---------- Post added January 6th, 2014 at 06:52 PM ----------

thank you to everyone, for taking time out to help.

Back
Top Bottom